Question Problems connecting to certain websites & printing

papatuzz

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2013
I can't connect to credit card sites, my bank site and I can't print from my main computer. I can get to those sites on my laptop and my mother's computer and I can print from them. I thought maybe it was my anti-virus so I removed it and just left the Windows Security running. I had WebRoot. After removing that, it still wouldn't work so I tried installing Avast Anti-Virus, but that wouldn't install. I kept getting a message that it ran into a problem.

I tried printing from my main PC wirelessly but that wouldn't work so I plugged the cable back in and tried again, but no luck.

Can anyone tell me why I can't connect to my bank or credit card companies and also why I can't print from my main PC? This is very frustrating.

It sounds like something in your system has gotten corrupted. For that I'd start an administrator command prompt and issue these two commands:
  1. SFC /Scannow
  2. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Another possibility is that you've been infected by some form of malware. For that I'd install the free version of MalwareBytes (download from here: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/ ) and let it scan and remove anything it wants to. Then do a full system scan with your antivirus program.

papatuzz

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2013
It sounds like something in your system has gotten corrupted. For that I'd start an administrator command prompt and issue these two commands:
  1. SFC /Scannow
Another possibility is that you've been infected by some form of malware. For that I'd install the free version of MalwareBytes (download from here: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/ ) and let it scan and remove anything it wants to. Then do a full system scan with your antivirus program.
  1. SFC /Scannow
  1. SFC /Scannow
Thanks you for your quick response. I ran the SFC/Scannow And it found corrupt files and repaired them. I ran the DISM one and I got Error 87 and it said The Option is Unknown. I ran Malwarebytes and it didn't find anything.

I tried accessing Capital One and still had the problem. I was able to print though so that's a plus.

You could try the troubleshooters that are in the Control Panel. Also if you've changed what you're using to sign on to Windows recently, you should change back.
I take it you don't have a full system backup made before the problems began or you would've restored from it and solved your problem. It's for situations like yours and many others that I always make periodic backups so I can restore and be back working in half an hour or so. I use the free version of Macrium Reflect, but there are numerous other backup/restore programs available.

papatuzz

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2013
You could try the troubleshooters that are in the Control Panel. Also if you've changed what you're using to sign on to Windows recently, you should change back.
I take it you don't have a full system backup made before the problems began or you would've restored from it and solved your problem. It's for situations like yours and many others that I always make periodic backups so I can restore and be back working in half an hour or so. I use the free version of Macrium Reflect, but there are numerous other backup/restore programs available.
Sorry it took so long to reply. I've been very busy. You're absolutely correct.I don't have a system back-up. I have a 5 terabyte drive to put a back-up on, but just never got around to it. My BIG mistake. I've tried the troubleshooters but to no avail. I haven't changed any sign in stuff. I had downloaded the Macrium Reflect also, but like I said, I just never got around to doing it. I WISH I had. I still have the same problem unfortunately.

papatuzz

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2013
You may want to check your Windows Defender settings.
You may want to check your Windows Defender settings.
I not only checked the Windows Defender settings, I completely disabled ALL the Windows Security stuff. I even did it in the registry. I have reinstalled the Webroot SecureAnywhere anti-virus since it is free with Dish Network and I need some kind of anti-virus. I can still access all the secure sites and print on my laptop, BUT can't do it on this computer. I have NO idea what the heck caused this. I have no viruses or malware of any kind. I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking I'll have to reinstall Windows but I've got so much stuff and so many websites bookmarked it would take forever. I'm thinking about building a new computer but that'll be a few months before I can afford it. I might just use my laptop until I can build a new computer. It's just very frustrating. And who's to say the same thing won't happen with the new one. AARRGGHH!!!