[SOLVED] Problems converting AVCHD files to MKV/MP4

hnn

Commendable
Feb 28, 2018
I have some videos I've shot with an old SONY camera. They are in AVCHD format. 1080i.

SO, when I try some of those converters to make them MKV or MP4, the results are not pleasing. It looks fine otherwise but the motion is jerky / weird.

I've also tried various settings with Handbrake and different filters with AVI Demux.

What would be the best way to convert them in order to keep the movement as smooth as original? (For example if I look at a video of a cat walking on sand, that sand looks absolutely horrible when there is movement).

The reason I want to convert them is that I will upscale them with Gigapixel for Video AI, and it doesn't seem to accept AVCHD videos directly.

Thank you.

hnn

Commendable
Feb 28, 2018
Ah I see. I was hoping that I could deinterlace them, but if that is the only way to get rid of motion issues, I'll keep them as interlaced then. :)

O, when I try some of those converters to make them MKV or MP4, the results are not pleasing. It looks fine otherwise but the motion is jerky / weird.
You're talking container formats, not the video (encoding) itself.

I'd use Avidemux to convert to h264 or x265 video format and mkv container format. If you land on that software I can give you some ideas on what works best (form me at least).