Question Problems cooling i7 4790k at stock

May 28, 2019
My friend gave me his old i7 4790k to replace my i5 4690 and i am cooling the cpu with a coolermaster 212 evo. I installed it, the machines boots and all is good except the machine runs a lot hotter and the cpu fans are are running a lot faster that it's unpleasantly loud under any small load. By hot the machine is comfortably idling at 55c and under larger loads such as something like minecraft it's peaking at around 76-78c which is a lot hotter and noisier than my i5 4690 ever ran under these loads.

So far i've tried reseating the cooler and reapplying thermal paste but to no avail. I'm wondering if it's to do with the thermal paste?

I'm running with a
Gigabyte motherboard (GA-B85N Phoenix)
i7 4790k (no overclock)
Coolermaster 212 evo
16 gb of ddr3 ram (with small oc from 1333 to 1600mhz which was done a while ago with the i5)
and gtx 770

Last edited:
I think you got spoiled by your original cpu.The 4790k is a hot beast even when not overclocked. You will have to live with the fan noise. Having said that. You should turn up your case fans speed so that they move more air. Your cpu should be idling closer to the 40's and not sitting at 55. Try playing with the cpu fan curves to keep it cooler with Evo fan speeds.

May 28, 2019
6JsmDub.png
bLM6qG9.png

May 28, 2019
They should but the bracket on the cooler is fiddly. Running with the prior cpu never had many issues though and the 20cm should move more air than the 120 pulling in.

May 28, 2019
it's a bit lower as we turned speedstep on to drop the clock a bit when it's idling otherwise the fans are a lot louder. Otherwise it rises to about 50 something.

May 28, 2019
I used a pea sized blob in the middle, the thermal paste is some offbrand chinese one. Was unsure if the thermal paste could make 20*c difference though or it was a seating problem? I was expecting temps and fan noises similar to the 4690 though using a 212.

Yes the 200mm is the case front, the case i'm using is a bitfenix prodigy (the itx one)
This explains a lot if its itx, not much room at all in there for air.
Maybe you can just lock the multiplier on the cpu not to go into it's boost frequencies and still benefit from the extra threads.
Also, when reseating the heatsink, did you remove it and clean it, as they always get full of dust and must be cleaned. If you haven't done this, I recommend you do it right away.

May 28, 2019
Yep, I used isopropyl to clean the chip and the cooler, careful not touch it. I'll look into the boost clocks but if i'm limiting the chip would i arguably be better going back to the i5 4690?

Yep, I used isopropyl to clean the chip and the cooler, careful not touch it. I'll look into the boost clocks but if i'm limiting the chip would i arguably be better going back to the i5 4690?
you can't use isopropyl very easily to clean out the fins... which get full of dust, you need compressed air/blowing on it and vacuum cleaner.

No, it wouldn't because 8 threads beats 4 threads :)
Your cpu ran at 3.9ghz 4c/4t - the new one runs at 4.4ghz (500mhz faster) and has 4c/8t
so if you clocked it down to 3.9ghz it would still be better because of the additional threads, less power hungry and draw the same power as your previous cpu.

Failing to apply some logic to this, just sell the cpu for $150 and put your old one back in

You have the new airflow correct. 200mm in, the cpu cooler directing airflow out the back exhaust.
The hyper212 is popular because it is cheap.
It is not a particularly efficient cooler and it is hard to get it installed so it is level.
If it is not level, the efficiency drops.
Still, if you mounted it well, you should see 10-15c. over ambient at idle.
A pea sized drop is probably too large.
Too much will act as an insulator.
A small rice sized drop will spread out under heat and pressure.
There is a difference in pastes, but not all that much.
The 4690K has higher clocks and performance. It is going to run hotter.
Still, your temperatures are not out of line.
If you are worried about noise, consider replacing the hyper 212 with a better cooler like the scythe kotetsu.
Here is a review:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1391-page1.html