Problems Creating Storage Spaces Pool - Error 0x00000032

bhogervorst

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2015
Hi all!

I've been on TomsHardware a lot with all my problems (most of which were solved by now thanks to your guys) but I'm back again!

I just unexpectedly received two 500GB Toshiba SATA hard drives and since my desktop only has a 120GB SSD and one 250GB storage drive (so sad), I thought I would put them in and use them for a mirrored redundant 500GB storage drive. I am using Windows 10 Home with does not have an option to create a Mirrored RAID1 array like Pro (which is a disappointment) but I thought I would try Storage Spaces out for the first time!

Here's the problem, after deleting all partitions off both drives, leaving them both unformatted, I opened Storage Spaces and selected both drives. But when I click on Create Pool I get the error Can't Create the Pool - Check the Drive connections, and then try again and the error code The Request Is not Supported 0x00000032. Naturally I tried Google and literally NOBODY has reported this problem. Both my drives are working fine individually, I've tested them overnight already and written files to them. I have also tried using other Hard Drives in my system and they also spit out the same error.

Also, I've tried Hardware RAID1 and that was a lot of trouble because I couldn't get Windows 10 to fully boot with the RAID drive so I'm going to try and stay away from it unless somebody can help with that too.

I would still really like to get Storage Spaces going though so any help I can get is much appreciated!!!

Thank you all in advance! I always appreciate the helpful people and great staff here!
-bhogervorst

If you want to use your SSD as a cache drive then your O/S has to be on your HDD, not your SSD.

If you use your SSD as a cache drive then the SATA ports your SSD & HDD are connected to have to be in RAID mode. You don't create an actual RAID-0 array.

You should never create a RAID-0 array with a SSD and a HDD. The RAID-0 array should be all SSDs or all HDDs.

The Read/Write performance of a RAID-0 is based upon the drive in the array with the slowest Read/Write speeds. So if you RAID-0 a SSD and a HDD you're not using the fast speeds of the SSD that you bought it for.

bhogervorst

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2015

Hi ezskills,

My problem is clearly stated:
I need to create a two drive Windows Storage Spaces Pool for Software RAID 1 in Windows. Windows Storage spaces would not let me do this and gave me the error listed in my original post.

I am not trying to create a cache drive with my SSD, nor am I adding it to my RAID array with my HDDs. I know those are both completely bad ideas, and they're not solutions to my problem. I am not working with Hardware RAID, and my SSD is completely out of the picture as it has my OS on it.

I have already solved this problem myself, though not in the way I would have liked. I am able to create a Storage Spaces Drive Pool by simply booting into Windows Safe Mode. From there I can edit the Storage Spaces, add new drives etc. in Windows without being in Safe Mode.

Thanks for responding to my thread but I've already solved this problem.
-BHogervorst

Sean_F

Commendable
Jan 23, 2017
bhogervorst, I had this exact issue as you described it, and rebooting into safe mode and adding the drive that way worked perfectly for me. Thank you for coming back and updating this post.

Also, worth noting for anyone reading this is that Windows Storage Spaces is different from RAID.

bhogervorst

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2015

No problem Sean_F, I had quite forgotten about this thread and didn't think anybody in the world had this problem, but I'm so glad I was able to help one person. As people always say, "If I've helped one person I've done my job."

And yes you are very correct - Storage Spaces isn't the same as RAID, I probably should have made that point clear. Thank you for correcting me!
I would just say the Storage Spaces is the Poor mans RAID so to speak - you can't afford a Professional version of Windows 10 supporting software RAID 1 and you can't afford a motherboard supporting RAID. I have an AMD RAID motherboard but boy is the AMD hardware RAID feature bad, I couldn't get anything to work. That's why i'm using Storage Spaces. Intel Here I come.

None the less, glad to be of some help. Have a nice day!
- BHogervorst

Jul 4, 2018
Safe mode worked for me too. Ironically, I restarted in safe mode and got the first 2 drives into the pool but the 3rd wouldn't connect. I had to restart in safe mode again (from safe mode) to get number 3 into the pool. This article put a successful end to a very stressful day full of paranoia that somehow I would lose everything! Thanks!