Problems getting custom PC running on any OS

zmarkymark

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
Hello,
I have been fussing with a desktop I just built and would appreciate any help or direction.
The pertinent hardware: Gigabyte Motherboard, i5, Nvidia MSI 960, 1TB HDD, no optical drive.
No matter what I try, I cannot get a working OS to install on it.

Something probably telling is that the VGA output from the motherboard is nonexistent - plugging the monitor in there results in no signal. When I'm plugged in using HDMI into the graphics card, I can at least get to the BIOS, and a few screens into the Windows or GRUB managers.

From there, the problem escalates. A clean install from a flash drive of Windows 10 appears to work, until it gets to the actual screen (no login or information entered). Then the bottom bar (the search bar and that's about it) flash on and off, where nothing else is visible. I can open task manager, but not the windows screen or a command prompt.

I figure okay, I'll install linux and see if I can get something working. Well, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Fedora, and Red Hat all say otherwise. Most do nothing when attempting to either install or boot from the flash drive, except for Ubuntu which gives me a problem that might be related to the Nvidia drivers (ACPI PCC Probe Failed).

I have some ideas as to where the problem might lie: Bad first install of Windows at first, which I had hoped to fix by clearing hard drive; bad Nvidia drivers; faulty motherboard or processor functionality (not likely); or maybe I'm just stupid unlucky.

If anybody has any ideas as to where the problem might be arising or what I can try first to fix it, I would appreciate it.
My first build hasn't exactly been going according to plan :(

Thanks,
zmarkymark

hiyabusared

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015
The idea's I have may not work well for you. I would first try to use a different graphics card. Perhaps a friend has an extra they keep just in case. What i5 do you have? What motherboard is it by chance? I didn't read that when you reinstall windows you do a full partition delete.