problems installing hl-2/cs-2

hi,

i have the 5 disc version of HL/C-S but am having problems installing it. I
have had it for a while, and removed it from my computer for a reformat. Now
I am tryingto get it re-installed and am getting an error message (1334)
every time the 4th disc begins loading.

Could my disc have gone bad? And if so, what recourse would i have now. The
game is about six months old, but I don't think I have the original sales
receipt. The disc doesn't appear damaged, and it's been in its protective
sleave since I opened the box.

Any suggestions? Short of having to re-buy it???

tia,

do a Google search with the exact error message.
Otherwise, contact Valve and see if you can send them the problem disc
for a new one

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 06:45:52 GMT, "joe mama" <dmoss74@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>hi,
>
>i have the 5 disc version of HL/C-S but am having problems installing it. I
>have had it for a while, and removed it from my computer for a reformat. Now
>I am tryingto get it re-installed and am getting an error message (1334)
>every time the 4th disc begins loading.
>
>Could my disc have gone bad? And if so, what recourse would i have now. The
>game is about six months old, but I don't think I have the original sales
>receipt. The disc doesn't appear damaged, and it's been in its protective
>sleave since I opened the box.
>
>Any suggestions? Short of having to re-buy it???
>
>tia,

delete the halfway install.
reinstall steam.
run steam & enter your account details, the email & password you
previously registered.
open the games page & select hl2 & css for download.
you will get the latest versions of both as your cd key is registered
with valve already.
warning - the total download size is around 2 gigabytes.

dr ratt

the man who crosses me and leaves me alive.
he understands nothing about tuco.
nothing.

kyle

"joe mama" <dmoss74@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| hi,
|
| i have the 5 disc version of HL/C-S but am having problems
installing it. I
| have had it for a while, and removed it from my computer for a
reformat. Now
| I am tryingto get it re-installed and am getting an error message
(1334)
| every time the 4th disc begins loading.
|
| Could my disc have gone bad? And if so, what recourse would i have
now. The
| game is about six months old, but I don't think I have the original
sales
| receipt. The disc doesn't appear damaged, and it's been in its
protective
| sleave since I opened the box.
|
| Any suggestions? Short of having to re-buy it???

One other thought occurred to me that might help. Try and duplicate
the problem disc with a good burner program that will do a cdcopy then
use the duplicated cd at the problem juncture.
--
Best regards,
Kyle

Kyle wrote:

> One other thought occurred to me that might help. Try and duplicate
> the problem disc with a good burner program that will do a cdcopy then
> use the duplicated cd at the problem juncture.

Won't that just give him 2 bad disks instead of one?

Respectfully, Bob

"joe mama" <dmoss74@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi,
>
> i have the 5 disc version of HL/C-S but am having problems installing it.
> I have had it for a while, and removed it from my computer for a reformat.
> Now I am tryingto get it re-installed and am getting an error message
> (1334) every time the 4th disc begins loading.
>
> Could my disc have gone bad? And if so, what recourse would i have now.
> The game is about six months old, but I don't think I have the original
> sales receipt. The disc doesn't appear damaged, and it's been in its
> protective sleave since I opened the box.
>
> Any suggestions? Short of having to re-buy it???
>
> tia,

Try this link from steampowered.com
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q26E1337B

(The original is very long)
http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=lhgCtNKh&p_lva=&p_li=&p_page=1&p_cv=&p_pv=&p_prods=0&p_cats=0&p_hidden_prods=&prod_lvl1=0&cat_lvl1=0&p_search_text=1334&p_new_search=1&p_search_type=answers.search_nl

Bob Loblaw wrote:

> Kyle wrote:
>
> > One other thought occurred to me that might help. Try and duplicate
> > the problem disc with a good burner program that will do a cdcopy then
> > use the duplicated cd at the problem juncture.
>
> Won't that just give him 2 bad disks instead of one?
>
> Respectfully, Bob

he could use an iso buster to see if the files are all readable.
Gordon

kyle

"Bob Loblaw" <inocentbystndr1@hotmail.com> wrote in message

| Kyle wrote:
|
| > One other thought occurred to me that might help. Try and
duplicate
| > the problem disc with a good burner program that will do a cdcopy
then
| > use the duplicated cd at the problem juncture.
|
| Won't that just give him 2 bad disks instead of one?

Maybe, and maybe not. If the disk has a defect that can be overcome
by the error-checking built in to the CD format, the process of
reading the CD using the burner may overcome the defect with multiple
reads and error checking. Using Raw Read features of most burners to
dup the CD might help, then again, your comment may also be true, it
may not work. I've seen the case tho where a CD was not readable in
my CDROM drive yet the cdr/w drive had no problems. It was just a
stab in the dark guess/experiment suggestion on my part.
--

> thanks for both suggestions

got it with valve's downloading page. took a while, but it works! thanks
again...

TRENDING THREADS