Problems installing new 3TB HDD. Is it dead?

CobraMatte

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
I bought a Seagate Barracuda 3TB Hard Drive (ST3000M001) to replace a 1TB hard drive that recently died. I'm trying to installing Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) on it. I used Microsoft's download tool to put the ISO on my USB drive and booted from there after plugging in the new hard drive.

When I get to "Where do you want to install windows?" It reads:
Name: Disk 0 Unallocated Space
Total Size: 128GB

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

After a quick look around the forums I checked that SATA mode in my BIOS is set to AHCI. Next to each SATA plug it reads "Not Present". When I connect my SSD it gets displayed there.

My motherboard is a ASUS P8H67-M LE. I checked the BIOS is updated to the most recent version

Another tip I read was to format the drive as GPT. The format option in Windows Installer is not available, so following advise on a forum I tried with diskpart.exe but it could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

I booted into Windows 10 on my SSD and opened Disk Management. It asked me to initialize the drive and I selected GPT. An error message tells me the drive is less than the minimum size required for GPT. So I tried MBR and it says the system cannot find the file specified.

I plugged it in with the 2 diffrent SATA cables and power plugs in my computer. Both work with my SSD.

After a few hours of messing around it seems like the drive may be dead. Anyone with experience confirm this?

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you post a shot of hdd in disk management window?

3tb drive is too big for mbr, mbr would only see it as 2.2tb max, but it should be seen by win 10 as right size

Win 7 cannot boot from gpt so even if you formatted it like it, you cannot run win 7 of it. The drive is showing a limitation of the operating system you installing on it, and of mbr in general. If you managed to format it as mbr it would not see 3tb but instead only 2.2tb

did you try to install win 7 without ssd in case? that 128gb sounds like the ssd since its called drive 0,

CobraMatte

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
WxxCg0p.png

My attempts to initialize the drive here fail. When I started, I was installing it with the ssd removed from the case.