problems installing skype

fabstr64

Prominent
May 18, 2017
Every time I try to install Skype I get the blue screen of death!
I have a HP ProBook 450-G3 laptop, windows 7 sp1

I just did a clean reinstall and it's all updated (including IE11)
I tried most suggestions found online and talked to MS CS. So far no solution has been found

The story is the same: I try to install, it does NOT, then it cycles in a boot/re-boot state until I stop it and start on safe mode with networking. Then I need to recover the computer going back to the previous restore point.

Skype does not appear among installed programs, but sometimes there was a folder under program Files (x86). Skype folder is present in the %appdata%roaming and when searching the registry after some interrupted installations there is a voice or two, but sometimes there could be over 50.

Any cue? Thank you,
-fabrizio

KR2

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
Maybe you might be downloading the new Windows 10 version of Skype so if you can try find an older version of Skype and that might work. I don't know why installing Skype would give you a BSOD though... That's kind of strange.

fabstr64

Prominent
May 18, 2017

Thank you for your answer.
Unfortunately, I tried several versions of Skype, including the skype full version (link sent by MS http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full) and rather old versions like skype 7.28.0.101

Also, initially was a problem with a missing file (MSVCP140.dll) now I do not even get to that point.

Is it possible that the installation damaged the OS? or at least some of the components?