Question Problems installing SSD & HD into my PC.

player1up

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
My system was slow so I decided to upgrade my hardware and install Windows on a new 1GB SSD(Samsung) and use my current 2TB HD as a drive for data.

I installed Windows 10 on the new SSD and it works without problems.

However when I try to add my old 2nd drive, a 2TB HDD, it doesn't show up in Windows 10, even though I can see it in BIOS.

I have an ASUS P8Z68-V LX Motherboard and both drives are plugged into the 6GB/s SATA ports.

I have tried using some of the other SATA ports on my motherboard and have looked through all the options in the BIOS but I can't figure out how to set up two drives at once.

Both drives are working because when I unplug the new SSD from the motherboard and boot the PC up, it boots my old WIndows system from the 2TB HDD. So it seems to be a configuration problem.

Do I have to format the 2nd drive first or set it up as a slave or something?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

player1up

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
thanks for the link. I think my issue was a drive letter conflict(method 2 in your link). I had a USB stick and an external USB HD plugged into my PC, which I think were causing issues whilst trying to install the new drive. I removed all USB devices and rebooted the PC and the new drive was recognised and assigned a letter by Windows 10. Everything works now thanks.