Problems installing Ubuntu?

aidanjperry

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017
I put Ubuntu on a USB drive with Rufus the same way I have done it any other time. I plug it into my streaming PC to boot and set the boot order. I get a screen that has a bunch of options, among them “install Ubuntu” so i go to click enter and all I get is a flashing terminal cursor on my monitor. I do the option to test my hard drive as well and I get the same cursor I change my settings in Rufus to a few different combinations and I get the same thing. What is my issue or what am I doing wrong?

Any help is good help in my opinion.

BTW i have corrupt windows currently installed on the hard drive should i format the hard drive?

Jun 13, 2018
In the past trying Rufus on a USB drive never worked well. What always worked best for me was:

1. Try to dd the Ubuntu ISO onto a thumb drive, if possible, from a machine with some type of linux on it:

sudo dd if=ubuntu.iso of=/dev/sdb

That really is the most effective approach

2. Try Unetbootin instead, have used this on ubuntu myself with success, and there is a windows version, cannot verify how good the windows version is, but , it works great on linux, so do not see why not.

https://unetbootin.github.io/