Problems installing windows 2000

G

Hi guys,
When I try to install Windows 2k (or XP for that matter), I get a stop error when my machine reboots into the installer. It says to check my hard drive config. and check for a virus. (checked and both seem fine) I have no problem installing Windows 98. The error reads:

STOP: 0x0000007B
(0xF9E8463C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

My machine is a:
Athlon 700
256 meg ram
Microstar MOBO
IBM Deskstar HD
Wester Digital HD (no RAID)
Geforce
HP cd burner

Any ideas? Not sure what else to do.
Sound Blaster Live

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Have you tried reseating all of your cables and checking to see if all of your hardware is on the HAL list?

<b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> for <b>THGC</b> Mascot!!!

10Mhz8086

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
If your overclicking it, undo it for the mean time.

Goto your BIOS and try using "compatable settings" if you have it. If you don't try "detuning" your PC and set your settings to a less agressive, slower setting for install. Also make sure that BIOS virus detection is turned off...

Also try updating to new BIOSs if any and reseat all your devices.

<i>"The FAA issued a wind sheer warning for my PC, I think I may have one to many fans in it..."</i>

G

i had the same problem when installing win2k on one of my machines. after about three days of fittiling with it, i let a co-worker take a look at it as well. he was clueless. I then "fdisk" -ed it about 3 times and eventually got the damn thing up and working. if your willing to, I'd try fdisking and formats all over the place. good luck.