Problems installing Windows 7 - No partitions are compatible?

EvanBerrett

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Hey guys,

My sister-in-law is trying to install a clean Windows 7 64-bit OEM OS to replace her Windows 7 32-bit. I had helped her get a hard drive to put the 32-bit on (we would have done 64 in the first place but she happened to get a free 32-bit version). The Hard drive has a partition in it, so that C:\ is her OS and a new A:\ is where all her other things are installed to and such.

So here's the problem. She tried installing the new Windows 7 64-bit but it apparently gave her the message that neither of the partitions are compatible. Any idea what's going on? The Hard drive is a new Seagate 1 TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache hard drive. I haven't been able to see what she did so far since I am at work, but I'm hoping to get some ideas before I head over to help her out.

Thanks guys.

Solution
Your best bet would be to backup important files, erase the partition (Windows installation has a built utility to do this) and perform a clean install of x64. Other partitions she may have on the hard drive will not be affected and will be ready for use after the Windows installation.

theclouds

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Your best bet would be to backup important files, erase the partition (Windows installation has a built utility to do this) and perform a clean install of x64. Other partitions she may have on the hard drive will not be affected and will be ready for use after the Windows installation.

Solution

4745454b

Titan
An A: drive? Is that still a reserved drive letter or not?

If you are trying to get windows onto a new 1TB drive, have her pull the old one out, and leave the 1TB plugged into the SATA port where it will stay. Have the install CD wipe the drive and create a new partition. Shouldn't have any issues...

theclouds

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
The A: was probably a typo. From I gather, his sister-in-law has one 1TB HDD split into partitions. The C: in question is not being recognize. He's essentially trying to upgrade 64-bit in a preexisting 32-bit OS.