problems installing wireless network adapter to dektop...

hi all
recently i have purchased a broudband router that can be wired or wireless. i purchased it to get wireless access to my cable modem with my laptop that has a wireless pc adapter. i'm having NO problems there. i've decided to share that internet connection from the router to a desktop that i have upstairs (less than 50 feet away). the dektop has a windows operating system that has been upgraded from 98 se to windows xp pro. the adapter is a wireless usb network adapter that is compatible with my router and adapter in my laptop. for some reason the drivers for the usb adapter are not installing properly onto the desktop. i've uninstalled and rebooted and re-installed the drivers about 50 times. i've been on the phone with several of the manufacturers techs and they've told me many things to try and nothing has worked. when i do install the hardware and driver (really only one) it is recognized in the device manager under the network adapter tab but when i try to go further and check the status of the device it says that it was unable to start (code 10). there were a couple of times where i did install the stuff and it showed up without an exclamation point in network adapters and then when i tried to make the connection to the router ..no connection was available. i tried to reconfigure stuff with the help of the techs but no luck. so...the conclusion they came up with was that there was a problem in my windows program. what sort of problem would keep this devices driver from installing properly. where would this driver be installed to..i'm at my ropes end and want to check all my options before installing a different adapter. thanks in advance.
michelle

What is the make of wireless adapter you are trying to install on your
desktop? There may be updated drivers on the vendor's website?

Most USB installs require you to install the driver software first, then
plug in the USB adapter. If you do this in the wrong order, you may see
problems like the ones you describe below.
If you are still seeing problems, I would suggest unplugging the USB device,
removing the driver from your machine using the device manager, rebooting,
and going through the setup process again.

If you have followed the correct steps and still see issues, then the driver
itself or the hardware may be at fault. I would return the unit and try a
different make. (I assume you have an 802.11b wireless network, so any
802.11b adapter should work in your environment).

Mark.

"nug2u" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi all
> recently i have purchased a broudband router that can be wired or
> wireless. i purchased it to get wireless access to my cable modem with my
> laptop that has a wireless pc adapter. i'm having NO problems there.
> i've decided to share that internet connection from the router to a
> desktop that i have upstairs (less than 50 feet away). the dektop has a
> windows operating system that has been upgraded from 98 se to windows xp
> pro. the adapter is a wireless usb network adapter that is compatible with
> my router and adapter in my laptop. for some reason the drivers for the
> usb adapter are not installing properly onto the desktop. i've
> uninstalled and rebooted and re-installed the drivers about 50 times.
> i've been on the phone with several of the manufacturers techs and they've
> told me many things to try and nothing has worked. when i do install the
> hardware and driver (really only one) it is recognized in the device
> manager under the network adapter tab but when i try to go further and
> check the status of the device it says that it was unable to start (code
> 10). there were a couple of times where i did install the stuff and it
> showed up without an exclamation point in network adapters and then when i
> tried to make the connection to the router ..no connection was available.
> i tried to reconfigure stuff with the help of the techs but no luck.
> so...the conclusion they came up with was that there was a problem in my
> windows program. what sort of problem would keep this devices driver from
> installing properly. where would this driver be installed to..i'm at my
> ropes end and want to check all my options before installing a different
> adapter. thanks in advance.
> michelle

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Hi,

Had the same problem... One solution is to buy products from the same manufacturer, then they have to help you!

The solution turned out to be that although the adapter automatically assigns an IP address and broadcast channel it does not work. You need to assign keys in the router softeware for IP address then enter them into the adapter configuration.