Problems Launching Civilization V in Windows 10

AdamGaffney96

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2015
So I've been having issues with quite a few of my games since upgrading to Windows 10 and I can't quite pin down what the problem is. One of them was Rocket League, however that now launches fine if I run Steam with Administrator Privileges. However Civilization V is consistently crashing and I don't know what else I can do.

I have tried verifying the games cache, doing a clean install, reinstalling my Nvidia drivers, running in Windows 7 compatibility mode, launching it with administrator privileges, and still it crashes either on or before the initial loading screen. This is one of my most played games and I had basically no issues with it on Windows 7, this only occurred after the update. At first I thought it was a DirectX issue due to Civ V, Rogue Legacy and Rocket League being 3 of the games not working, however I managed to fix the other two just by launching with admin privileges, so I'm not sure what the issue is. I will post my specs just below this post and then one of the error messages I've had with the game, as I'm really not sure what else I can do. Thank you for any help you can give me.

EDIT: Another piece of info I thought would be useful, this is running on Windows 10 Pro 64bit, my laptop runs on Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit, and it launches Civ V perfectly fine, even plays better than it did on Windows 7.

System Specifications:
CPU: Intel i5 3570k Quad Core Processor (3.4GHz)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-LX V
GPU: Zotac 4GB Geforce GTX 970
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz (2 x 8GB)
PSU: Corsair 650W Power Supply

One of the error logs I get when Civ V crashes (From Event Viewer):

"Faulting application name: CivilizationV_DX11.exe, version: 1.0.3.279, time stamp: 0x546cd0a8
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.10240.16392, time stamp: 0x55a85cc1
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00055635
Faulting process ID: 0x37d4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0d0216b29038d
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\CivilizationV_DX11.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report ID: 29e77523-bdee-4b7d-9ab8-81894f236981
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID: "

Solution
Hello,

The issue might be due to display driver. Uninstalling and restarting the computer will help you use the default display driver, this might help in fixing the issue.
- Press Windows and X keys together.
- Click on Device Manager.
- Locate and Expand the Display Adapter driver.
- Right Click on the Display Device.
- Click on Uninstall.
Restart the computer after the successful un-installation of Display Device.

You may try as well by adding these commands on the parameter settings of your Civilization V in Steam before starting the game.

" -windowed -noborder "

Slashgeek

Admirable
Hello,

The issue might be due to display driver. Uninstalling and restarting the computer will help you use the default display driver, this might help in fixing the issue.
- Press Windows and X keys together.
- Click on Device Manager.
- Locate and Expand the Display Adapter driver.
- Right Click on the Display Device.
- Click on Uninstall.
Restart the computer after the successful un-installation of Display Device.

You may try as well by adding these commands on the parameter settings of your Civilization V in Steam before starting the game.

" -windowed -noborder "

Solution

Rolltide16

Commendable
May 31, 2016
Had a problem running this game on new pc build. Downloaded civ 5 on steam. Upon opening game the introduction vid would freeze. After hitting escape it would take me to the main menu of the game. All the while no sound. The mouse arrow would move fine but the game selections took minutes to select and open. I've read several ways to fix this. It is now running fine. This is what I did to fix the issue. I went I to steam and tight clicked on civ 5 in the game library. Selected properties. Went to local files. Selected browse local files. It then directed me to all the civ 5 files on my harddrive. I clicked on the civ 5 icon that read civ5dx. Clicked test compatability. Windows tested the program and then recommended that I run it in Windows 8 compatability mode. I selected yes and it work like a charm.

jegadeth

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I've been doing everything I can that I found on the net for fixing my Civ 5 crashing to desktop right after the loading screen were to go to the main menu. It wouldn't ever get to the menu, just CTD. And there would be NO error to pop up from windows.

I finally got this to work. This is ONLY a fix if you do what I do with my games folder. I have my games folder synced with Google drive so I have a cloud service for my game saves, .INI files, etc.

Well I found that Google drive was not letting a "Localization-Merged.db " file be accessed, once I checked the log files in the Civ 5 folder. Once I shut down Google drive, all the problems went away. I just wanted to throw this out there incase someone else would have the same issue.

My Rig:
Windows 10
Intel Core i5 6500
16 GB DDR4-2133
MSI Hawk AMD R9 270X 2 GB

1KPADD

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016

I also have a problem loading CIv 5, where it simpl doesn't open after my Direct X selection. I would like to try this solution yet when I go into Display adapters I see 2 choices:
AMD Radeon R7 M260DX
and
AMD Radeon(TM) R7 Graphics

Which one of these would I have to uninstall?
Thank you!

TRENDING THREADS