Problems loading OS on a new hard drive

Hi there charper77,

What really happens? Do you have some data stored on that drive? In case you do, you will need to use some data recovery tool for DOS mode.
After that, you can reformat the drive and perform a clean OS install.
Here's how you can reformat the drive(data destructive process):

Once you are in Windows setup, press shift+F10 to bring up the command line.
- diskpart [enter]
- list disk [enter]
- select drive [number] [enter]
- clean all [enter]
- create partition primary [enter]
- select partition 1 [enter]
- active [enter]
- format fs=ntfs [enter]
- assign [enter]
- exit [enter]
- exit [enter]

Hope this will help,
D_Know_WD

charper77

Reputable
Feb 8, 2016

Nothing I do will change it from trying to install windows. I changed the bios order again and was able to download KillDisk onto a dvd on my other pc. Put this dvd into the drive, tried both with the pc already on then loaded it and tried with loaded then turned pc on. It still insists on trying to load that windows boot I previously downloaded into it. It won't acknowledge the dvd no matter what I try.
Before I asked for help I was able to get a prompt and erase on the hard drive. It quit at 99% and I've had this problem ever since. I believe this 1% is what's giving me all this grief. And I can't get a command prompt to do anything. So frustrating.

charper77

Reputable
Feb 8, 2016

It's a new drive. I was able to test it on the computer itself there was a hotkey for that and it say's it's fine. Do you know of any programs that will allow me to get a command prompt?

charper77

Reputable
Feb 8, 2016

If you hit the ESC key as soon as you turn your pc on it brings you to a Startup Menu with 5 options: 1) F1 System Info 2) F2 System Diagnostics (that's where I checked my hd) 3) F9 Boot Device Options (that's where I went to change my bio order 4) F10 Bios Setup 5) F11 System Recovery
This is the only menu I can get up. I down loaded DBAN 2.3.0 onto a cd for a self-starting hard drive cleaner and I can't get it to load for nothing.
I really appreciate your time and effort. I think I've learned an expensive lesson from all of this. All because I wanted to save a few bucks now it looks like I'm going to have to take it in somewhere to have it repaired. I don't know what else to try.