Specs:

Ryzen 5 3600 (stock cooler)

rtx 2070 super

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB

MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4

EVGA 750 watts BQ semi modular

Corsair 110r (case)

3 kingwin intake fans 120mm

2 exhaust fans (1 120 mm thermaltake fan & 1 140mm kingwin fan)

My computer has been hitting real high temps, CPU temps idling it goes between 43c degrees and 60c, gaming i.e. mw warzone(high settings) 80c sustained CPU wise as well. The other day my fan header blew out and for about two days I played without intakes fans only two exhaust in which my computer got really hot (up to 90c while gaming) but I realized it and connected the fans to molex. Now computer is somewhat cooler but is still really hot (like said before warzone i get 80c). Games like fortnite(high settings) I also get about 80c sometimes higher but in GTA V(high settings) I get 66c for some reason. My computer doesnt seem damaged, gets a good score on userbenchmark and high fps in games, Ive seen that the 3rd gen AMD cpus get pretty hot idk if thats the issue. I am not sure if the temps are high for GPU it gets about 74c in warzone, but articles say Nvidia graphics cards get really hot, leaving me to believe its just the CPU. The fans I have on my computer also get really loud during gaming as well. My hardware is very new got it about two months ago I did not apply thermal paste as people told me the stock cooler comes with it pre applied. Do I have to undervolt/underclock my CPU as others did with the same CPU? Any help is appreciated.

Solution
80C is fine, and expected with the stock cooler. AMD only really designed it to be adequate, and nothing more.
The system is never truly 'idle', and those temps are also normal. It's related to Ryzen 3000's behavior.
These chips are very 'bursty' compared to the Intel competitor at low loads, using more power and thus running warmer at 'idle', but at full load, they are actually cooler.

Also, Ryzen 3000 is temperature sensitive in a similar manner to Nvidia's 10, 16, and 20 series gpus; the cooler it runs, the better the boost clocks will be - to an extent.
Don't make the same mistake as a bunch of other Ryzen 3000 owners are doing, by setting a static core frequency, or overclocking the cpu.
That has the opposite effect; increasing...

Superfrog79

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
Hi,

Nowdays, computer games are pushing pc hardware to their limits. It become almost impossible to play games without good cooling system. For desktop apps it is not problem to have stock fan. My opinion is that you cannot play 3D games with stock cooler. I have i9 9900KF processor and COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 black edition cooler with one fan. When I push my pc, cpu temperature goes above 80C. Beside that I have pretty large case and 6 fans to blow air from below to above. I bought watercooling sistem, but I still have not installed it so I don't know if that will solve the problem, but I think it will.

Go buy your self best possible cpu cooler you can afford. Don't push your cpu with stock cooling. And don't overclock you pc if you don't need to.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
80C is fine, and expected with the stock cooler. AMD only really designed it to be adequate, and nothing more.
The system is never truly 'idle', and those temps are also normal. It's related to Ryzen 3000's behavior.
These chips are very 'bursty' compared to the Intel competitor at low loads, using more power and thus running warmer at 'idle', but at full load, they are actually cooler.

Also, Ryzen 3000 is temperature sensitive in a similar manner to Nvidia's 10, 16, and 20 series gpus; the cooler it runs, the better the boost clocks will be - to an extent.
Don't make the same mistake as a bunch of other Ryzen 3000 owners are doing, by setting a static core frequency, or overclocking the cpu.
That has the opposite effect; increasing power consumption and thermals, thus telling the cpu it shouldn't boost as high. The secret to maximizing performance on Ryzen 3000 is good cooling and memory tweaking.
80C is still fine, but if you're not comfortable with it, then a new cooler is in order. You won't need anything too crazy - the following would do just fine:
-Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo
-be quiet! Pure Rock
-Cooler Master Hyper 212
-a 240mm AIO

articles say Nvidia graphics cards get really hot
What articles are those?
Any gpu will run warmer than necessary when:
-the case's front panel is solid. Those hurt gpu cooling moreso than the cpu. These case styles seem to be trendy for some reason...
-the case has a psu shroud.
-there's a radiator installed in the front. It adds greater air intake restriction, so a higher fan curve, or stronger fans, are necessary to make up for that.

I have i9 9900KF processor and COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 black edition cooler with one fan. When I push my pc, cpu temperature goes above 80C.
~Nice. Another user on here has the same combo and says it's fine, if only because they've yet to actually push the cpu. A Hyper 212 isn't enough for a 9700K, and that's basically a 9900K without hyperthreading...
I don't know the liquid cooling system you've bought, but if it isn't at least 360mm or a custom loop, then it's not enough. 280mm with a high rpm fan profile would work too.

Solution

Field_Tested

Prominent
Mar 26, 2020
What articles are those?

Ive read here https://softlay.net/how-to/safe-normal-gpu-temp-gaming.html that Nvidia gpus can get around 70 to 85 degrees, I have heard of fan curving but am not that sure about changing it seems complicated. And thanks for the suggestions I plan on getting a Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black. I also enabled XMP profile on my RAM settings idk if that increased temps. Thanks again everyone for the replies.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I see.
Some points it's got right, others wrong, and a couple are outdated.
-That '70 to 85C' is outdated. That's more accurate for Nvidia's older gpus. With their more recent 10, 16, and 20 series, many of them have their default thermal throttle limit set at 83C... you can raise it a little with software, but over 85C long term isn't good for the gpu anyways.

-Within those same 3 generations, there isn't an ideal temp with these. I forget if they call it Gpu Boost 3 or 4 - but anyway, power limits aside, the cooler they run, the better; the higher their max boost clocks will be, and the more performance you gain.
AMD's gpus don't operate in that manner, and thus that ideal temp applies better to them.

The gpus don't have to run hot(80C+). If you take certain precautions/steps, even a 2080Ti can be kept below 80C. Heck, my 1080Ti has never seen over 65C, and that's not a low power card.
Sometimes the problem IS manufacturer fault - crappy cooler design. For others, they are caused by the user.

I also enabled XMP profile on my RAM settings idk if that increased temps.
It'll raise cpu package temps very slightly - you can waive that one off.

Field_Tested

Prominent
Mar 26, 2020
Alright I might try to tweak the fan curve on my GPU as at 70c my fans are only spinning at 60 to 58 percent, but idk if thats low. Do you know any guides for fan curving I already have Afterburner, anyways thanks for taking the time to help me.

Jan 17, 2021
~Nice. Another user on here has the same combo and says it's fine, if only because they've yet to actually push the cpu. A Hyper 212 isn't enough for a 9700K, and that's basically a 9900K without hyperthreading... https://activators4windows.com/2020/12/08/cleanmypc-activation-code-free-2021/

I don't know the liquid cooling system you've bought, but if it isn't at least 360mm or a custom loop, then it's not enough. 280mm with a high rpm fan profile would work too.