[SOLVED] Problems making a Network Drive!

Forz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
Hello, so I found a 500GB Laptop Drive lying around my drawers and decided to make it a network drive so everyone around the house can access it from their computers. FYI im using an external Sata Cable. However right away I ran into isssues. I clicked Map Drive and have alot of letters to assign a drive, I got told to assign any letter but when I clicked browse, the only thing that appears is 'network'. I can't interact with it. Am I doing something wrong? Is there any other solutions? Thanks!

Solution
In the Host system, you have to share it....make it visible to the network.
9rOOJMt.png

In the host system, right click on the drive and select Properties.
Then the Sharing tab.

Turn Password protection OFF
That should enable the 'Share' button

Forz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
If this is connected to your PC, it is not a "network drive".

So, how is it connected?
What specific cable are you using?
Are you trying to access it from a different system? File and Print sharing turned on?

Im using a USB 3 to SATA cable. Everything is turned on. Im trying to make a type of cloud storage accessible from everyone on my network. Im connected to ethernet

Forz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
Again, what specific cable?
And which specific drive?

Can you see this drive in the host PC?

I can see the drive, store files on it like a normal drive. It is a Samsung hm500ji. The cable I have no clue of as it only says SATA on it. It has 2 cables, 1 read/write and 1 power and a 2.5 inch 22pin SATA connector according to the specs. I can't post links for some reason

Forz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
OK..if you can see and use the drive in the host system, it is working.
The only issue then would be with network sharing.

From the other system, can you see it at all?

I would try however I can't set it up. I have the properties screen up and don't know how to allocate the drive to be shared. Such as I have no idea what to do with the letter assignment as it automatically removes the already assigned letters and browsing just brings up the browse screen with nothing but 'network'. I can't interact with it at all

USAFRet

Titan
In the Host system, you have to share it....make it visible to the network.
9rOOJMt.png

In the host system, right click on the drive and select Properties.
Then the Sharing tab.

Turn Password protection OFF
That should enable the 'Share' button

Solution