Question Problems Mounting Verizon Cable Box Behind TV

wheely34

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
Looking for some help with what could be going on here. I mounted my Verizon VMS1100 cable box on the wall behind my TV. It's been working fine for almost a week, including last night. Then all of a sudden, I go to use the TV this morning and it doesn't work. The VMS1100 is an IR box, so I guess it needs line of site? That would be fine if it didn't work from the beginning, but it's worked fine for days, and then all of a sudden, doesn't work. Didn't change any settings, power didn't go out, nothing has changed from last night when it worked fine. Any idea what could be going on? Does anyone else have experience with mounting this box behind your TV?

So you are saying the remote control stopped working?
Hope so otherwise a foolish answer.
Were curtains open? Was something shiny between you and box?
At times I bounce the remote signal around stuff in the way.
Move TV out a bit.
Have your batteries drained a bit, signal may be low.

wheely34

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
Nothing has changed! It was working fine last night. Been reading up on fios tv one and I think I'm going to save myself a lot of time and effort and just upgrade the boxes. The fios one boxes work off of bluetooth, so this shouldnt be a problem. They apparently are much more responsive than these dirt slow quantum boxes also. It's a one time $50 fee, but I'm thinking I'm going to need to buy IR repeaters for the two boxes I have now, so seems worth it.

Ralston18

Titan
Does the TV work if connected to another input source?

Does another TV work if connected to the VMS1100?

As suggested - try new batteries in the remote. The batteries that are often included are very cheap.

Are all cables fully and firmly seated?

Did you try swapping in known working coax cables, video cables and power cables?

Verify that the coax wall outlet is working.