canuckiwi

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Hi there,

I have a computer that has been taking over 10 minutes to get up and running. On power up, the hard drive starts, and then my dvd drive and cd burner slowy begin whirring up to speed. These drives cycle back and forth for about 5 minutes. Then the familiar 'startup beep' is heard and I am presented with 'Hardware montior has found an error'. When I check out the hardware monitor, there are 2 problems:

1) chassis fan is not up to speed
2) voltage levels look like this...
Vcore Voltage......1.76 V
+3.3 V................3.42 V
+5 V...................4.38 V <- red flagged
+12 V................11.18 V

However, if I give the system another 5 min, the +5V will bump up to 4.48 V. This will allow me to reboot and the system will start. (if I don't wait for the +5V level to increase, the system will keep resetting)

I ran a hardware diaganostic and the system passed 100%.

Any ideas on what could lead a previously flawless running system to have this type of problem?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Looks like your PSU is failing. Your 5V line should be running closer to 5 volts and its not, indicating a faulty power supply. Provide some more specs about your system, especially the type and wattage of your PSU.

If you haven't done so in a while, take the side off the case and take some compressed air and blow out the PSU and the machine itself. Dust will cause issues if its dusty.