Problems Overclocking 2500K

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

genjaguar

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
So I'm not sure if I've run into a wall or I'm doing something wrong...but I can't get my 2500K past the 44x multiplier. I boot to windows fine at 44x with just 1.3vcore. But if I try 45x+ it will not even get to the loading windows screen. Just leaves me at a screen with a blinking cursor after my MB BIOS screen. I tried voltages all the way up to 1.48 and still would not boot up.

Did I just hit a wall with my chip or is there something I'm doing wrong? Is there some other settings I should be changing?

Solution
I normally don't do this, I expect people to learn what they're doing first then do it, but seeing as how Sandy Bridge is totally new overclocking territory and you have the same motherboard I do, I'll give you the necessary BIOS settings to allow you to discover your multiplier/vcore combination to run the various speeds, I'm not going to give you those exact settings some of this overclocking adventure you're going to do on your own.

Under Advanced
v
CPU Configuration
v
Active Processor Cores = All
Hardware Prefetcher = Enabled
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetcher = Enabled
Enhanced Halt State (C1E) = Disabled
CPU C3 State Support = Disabled
Package C State Support = Disabled
CPU Thermal Throttling = Enabled...

genjaguar

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
My MB already came with the 1.60 BIOS.

I did skip 45x and 46x just thought it was weird that it would get stuck on those. Went to 47x-49x and I posted the vcores above...not sure how safe running at 1.415 is for 49x

My B3 replacement came with the 1.60 BIOS also.

Actually for myself whatever I'm going to run 24/7 I want my load temps below 60c, but that's just my preference, it's totally up to you how you run your computer.

You have to decide what speeds are just pure overkill, meaning way more computing power than the applications you are using need, and higher speeds require higher power and more heat.

genjaguar

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Well I will most likely have to RMA my motherboard because of a problem with one of my PCIE slots (see this thread for details http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289370-30-build-boot-motherboard-code ) but since I believe most of the overclocking comes from the chip and what it can handle, the replacement shouldn't interfere with that.

For now I am running 44x at 1.28vcore since that will pretty much handle anything I can throw at it...and I like the cooler temperatures and lower voltage needed.

Chippu

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Sorry for reviving this thread after six months, but I've encountered the exact same problem as genjaguar. I can boot perfectly fine using the 44, 47, 48, 49, and 50 multiplier but it's impossible to boot under 45/46.

Also, for some reason my voltages, using "fixed mode" do not seem to stick after rebooting. However, I can get near the fixed numbers under LLC2.

I was wondering if genjaguar ever managed to fix his problem?

Currently I'm running the 4.4Ghz preset. I can get it to run stable on manual mode, but for some reason temps seem to get a bit higher compared to the preset OC, even when using lower volts.

Status
Not open for further replies.