Problems overclocking GTX 780 SC

Bibbins

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
My specs arent what's killing it, i've got a 750w power supply, an Asus maximus VI hero, and an intel i5 4670k processor.

i was trying to play around with some light overclocking using EVGA's precision X software. I attempted what i thought would be a stable clock (+180 gpu core +200 mem, extra .13 volts) and upon entering planetside 2, i was almost immediately met with some choppiness, ultimately leading to a white screen. upon wrestling my way out of the planetside window and finally and painfully closing it through task manager, i had found that my computer had been reduced to the quality of a 1991 mac. this wall as fixed with a restart of course, so i tweaked my clock settings lower, and still same result, but i got to play for a bit this time.

there isn't really any specific thing that causes the crash, but it seemed to happen in a change in screens (opening up maps or entering vehicles), i also tested battlefield 4, and while i was sometimes able to play for a bit, it would crash as well (this time with a directx error).

basically i was wondering, have you guys had any experience with this problem before? any suggestions? the gpu is an EVGA 3gb vram gtx 780 superclocked, single fan, you know the ones with those nifty little steam dissipator thingys and the aluminium fins???

i love you all

I would leave a factory overclocked Graphics card as-is. Usually, at the factory, they try and squeeze out every bit of performance that the card is capable of.

(I have EVGA GTX 660Ti and EVGA Precision)

Overclock from the ground up instead of making a high starting point

start much lower, at like a core clock of 50 mhz and 0 on the memory, and use unigine valley to test instead of a game.
after each successful run of unigine, up the core clock by 10mhz, and re run test, and repeat the process until you get a crash. after crash, reduce core clock by 20mhz, save settings and restart computer and test again, if stable through 2 full runs, then you are good

after you have found your max core clock, only then should you touch the memory, and again, start at 50mhz, and just do the same thing as you did with the core clock, while still having the core clock at it's overclocked settings
touching the voltages is pretty safe on the stock bios, as you can only go so far and likely won't fry your card unless you have like no airflow. the only thing touching voltages will do is allow you to maybe get another 10-20mhz on your core clock, but will also increase heat and wear on the card