Problems playing games. Begging for Help.

hethkor

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
Hello everyone.
I'm having an issue with World of Warcraft. I have a Q6600 at 2.4ghz, 4GB of DDR2 1066Mhz Corsair Dominator RAM, an ATi radoen 4850, 700Gb of HD, an Asus P5Q motherboard and a 600w processor.
This is an ample rig for playing WoW, YET, i get a problem with my FPS quite often. Averagely, i get 36+. It's okey, not too awful, but, it should be higher. This is not the main problem though. Wherever I am, when i turn my camera around, roughly 45 degrees+ in to the turn, my FPS stutters alot. I get almost a freeze screen for a second, and then it goes to normal. After the full turn, when i do it again, i get a smaller stutter. For about 10 seconds, when i turn, it's all fine, no stutter. After that, it stutters again. In the middle of PvP, that second of freeze is enough for me to die due to my lack of reaction, and, in occassion frustration. It's getting very annoying, and, considering that the rig is built for gaming, surely, it should cope? I have got 3.5 MB broadband, and my MS hovers from 20-138MS. So, again, np there.

I've had a history of trouble with this PC. The main problem I had when i bought it was with it's DVD drive, replaced it, it's all fine. BUT, when i opened up the case, i realised that my rig was powered by 250w!! (never going to PC world again, btw, that was with a differant mobo, gfx card and RAM).

Anyway, to sort out the problem (or at least i tried) i ran an HD tech (or something can't remember) and it found no errors, i did a memtest for 12 hours, no problems. So, I'm stumped, save for this: my boot time seems awfully slow. I have a laptop with vista, and it boots far faster. It's always been slow, even before I replaced anything, and i noticed no differance with my new RAM. A technician i employed to install my mobo said that he "wiped" the PC, but, i can't guarantee he re-installed a DIFFERANT version of vista. I want to buy vista 64 bit, and I hope that will sort it out, but, I'm not sure, any ideas?

Other problems, possibly related:
- Low FPS in Age of Conan (6-10), however, if i change a setting, E.g resolution, and then, change it back, it goes high, (40-60).
- World in Conflicts FPS is low in large battles, very, very low. No improvement since new RAM
-Crysis APPEARS to run ok on high settings, with very little losses of FPS. In Warhead, there seems to be slightly less FPS, and more stuttering.

Anyone have any idea what the problem is? Could it be my hardware, software, anything like that? Please try and get back to me.

serpent1202

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
My brother had a similiar problem with his rig about 6 months ago. The specs are different but the same symptoms. It was a problem with the motherboard and ram depending on what slots were used. Memtest ran for hours and hours and never showed a problem, but when he gamed it did the stutter and he getting really low fps. We put the RAM on the other channel and it instantly fixed the problem.

serpent1202

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
To clarify my post above, we tried about 20 different settings for his ram until we found 1 that fixed it. The only reason we attempted to try this is because CPU-z was giving us inconsistant readings.

hethkor

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
I've tried at differant settings, none seem to change it massively. And Serpent, I don't quite understand ;) I'm a bit of a nub with PCs :). What do you suggest I do?

How did you buy your ram ? was it a 4 Gig kit or 2x 2 Gig etc ? How do you have it set in the bios ? Is it in the correct sockets for dual channel ?

You could try pulling 2 Gig and running the other two to see if it makes a differance.

Mactronix

hethkor

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
2 x 2gb kit. I tried taking 2 gb out, no differance, just a touch slower. Under CPUID it states it is running in dual channel, and I don't know how to set it in BIOS.

Check your Motherboard manual it will tell you how to enter BIOS then look at what numbers are alongside your memory. This will be the speed it is set at. I googled this problem a bit and some are sugesting that the speed should be 800 or 667 and not 1066.
Just to repeat this is stuff i got when googling your problem and not my own knowledge.

Mactronix

hethkor

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
I am a real idiot with PCs, and I'm afraid I really have no idea how I can do that :S I'm using a BIOS called "US megatrends" or something like that. Also, is the RAM the same as DRAM under BIOS?

Yes thats the one, but, if you really are not sure what is what its best not to start changing settings.
Go online and read a few guides about Overclocking, these will deal with adjusting the Ram values and should give you an idea what you are doing.

Mactronix