Problems playing games, especially first person shooter games.

camperjm

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
First off I want to say that, if you feel that this is off topic, please move it somewhere else cause I want this to be in the correct section, except I couldnt find one.

So basically my problem is that I have major problems when playing first person shooter games.
My guns are really inaccurate , I get a major delay in-game, as with player models updating slowly and my bullets hitting the player slowly.

How I found this out:

I played around 200 hours of BF3 after I had bought my computer some months before it came out. I didnt know of any problems back then because I did not know what was good or not. (Believe it or not I had the most ridiculous disadvantage one has ever seen in gaming, not even kidding). I started watching youtube videos and was thinking to myself, HEY, That is not how my guns act. I went into servers trying recoil out and all that stuff and my guns were not as accurate as other people's. And I had WAY better aim than them.

So I decided, heck, Im gonna record my gameplay and see how it actually looks for me, maybe I am just imagining it all. So I recorded gameplay with fraps. And I noticed a MAJOOOOOR, Im telling you, MAJOR accuracy increase of guns and how the game worked. I was wondering why that was just because I was recording. I later found out that it was because my CPU had a boost mode that put it from 2,8 ghz to 3,3 ghz when in load. (My CPU was a 1055T and I didnt know anything about computers back then, around february). So I wanted to try this overclocking thing, My friends told me some stuff about it, how it removed your warranty and ***. I didnt care about that, Which I regret.

So I bought a CPU cooler, a Good one. I put it on the computer so I could overclock my CPU. I overclocked it to 3,3. I felt that it was good, but I could get it better. So I overclocked it to 3,5. And that is where I nailed it. Finally my game was fixed after all these months.. Atleast that's what I thought. So I played like that for a week or so, and it was all smiling faces from me and I absolutely LOVED it.

Then 1 day after that week it all became worse. I was baffled, I tried with so many things to fix it, nothing helped, unfortunately. So I overclocked it to around 3,7 and it was all good again, for about a week again. Then it became worse.. AGAIN. I had done so good in that week that I also got in a competetive team! But whatever. Now I was stuck, I could do nothing. I could not overclock it any further than 3,8 cause then I would get problems, crashes, blue screens etc.

So I tried a new CPU. I got it for 50% off from Webhallen. An AMD Phenom 965. I tried it, it did not fix the problem.

And here I am right now, typing this post. Trying to figure out what the hell is bottlenecking my computer.

My system specs:

GA-870A-UD3 GIGABYTE Motherboard
BENQ 21,5 inch monitor
You already know the CPU.
Radeon HD 6950 graphics card
500W power supply
500GB Hard drive
4 GB of RAM, (I have tried 8 gigs of RAM which I borrowed from a friend , didnt fix the problem)

Things I have tried to fix my problem:

Updating BIOS, Helped performance but didnt fix anything.
GPU drivers, tried so many. Tried removing them, not fixing anything.
Played other games, I have the same problem in every first person shooter that I've played. (BC2, BF3, Call of Duty 4, MW3 (Free weekend), Medal of honor)
My friend has been over to my house and said it was probably the shittiest computer he ever played on and confirmed that I had a major issue.
Overclocking memory, nada.
Tried different connections, it is not my internet. http://www.speedtest.net/result/2282496226.png
Checked if DPC was causing any problems, I do not know. but I dont think it causes any of my problems.

If you read this whole post, thank you.

What I need to know is, what is causing this problem and what I can do to fix it. Why does overclocking my CPU help with it in the first place? What part of my computer is bottlenecking?

camperjm

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Motherboard

0:39C
1:39C
2:51C

That is idle

My CPU:

All my cores have like a maximum of 50 degrees Celsius when gaming, I know this from before.

My GPU:

46 idle. Probably around 70-80 while gaming.

I was going to say that it sounded like the CPU was faulty from the start, but you replaced it... and then you tried different RAM, which was my second guess.

My next guess would be the power supply not giving enough juice.

camperjm

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Yeah I have been thinking that too, Whenever I get my money from my mother that she owes me I will go buy a 600W Power supply.

socialfox

Distinguished
Temperatures are quite fine, I would also say your power supply may be at fault. How much watts is the power supply and what brand/model.

Update: just checked you wattage, your computer uses 470 watts at full load excluding fan ( I included a DVD drive since you probably do have one) at 10% capacitor aging which is fairly new, now with 20% aging which is around 1 year+ your computer uses 508 watts. Your issue is your power supply, if its a cheap brand then obviously that is your problem, in addition this was calculated with the phenom 965, if this was the overclocked phenom II X6 expect it to be way more.

How did you come up with 470 watts of power usage?

Phenom II X4 965 - ~125w
Radeon HD6950 - ~200w
Misc components- ~50-100w
Total Power Consumption - ~375-425w.

Generally speaking, these components will not even pull their rated TDP. Especially the CPU. During average gaming load, OP's CPU will only pull around ~100w while his GPU will use around ~150-180w. So you're realistically seeing around ~250-300w of power draw during an average gaming session.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1488/18/

Fans have a very small impact on overall system power draw. (Unless you purchase VERY power hungry performance fans such as the high RPM Scythe Gentle Typhoons or Noctua NF-F12's).

Generally speaking, your motherboard is not a great overclocker. For one, it doesn't have a heatsink over the VRM's (which will restrict how much you can overclock). I would like to know what your Northbridge temperatures are along with your VRM's. Can you take a screenshot of HWMonitor of you running Prime95?

I would highly recommend swapping out your motherboard for something more modern if you are looking to overclock. You can get a decent overclocking board for around ~$90 at the moment so it's not too hefty of a price. This may ultimately fix the issue.

However, I do agree with SocialFox's recommendation of swapping out your PSU. I have not heard of Silver Power and I'm sure it's some no-name generic PSU. Swap it out ASAP.

socialfox

Distinguished

Hi there, used a power supply calculator. Link is below, anyways I put system load and CPU load to 100%.
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
Give a try and see what you get.

socialfox

Distinguished

Guess I'll keep that in mind now that its a recommendation :lol: but wouldn't it be wise to have extra wattage on top of the system load? Don't power supplies also lose a bit of their initial wattage after each year of use?

:lol: Yes, the more you know~!

Generally speaking, yes, you do lose a bit of power over time. However, the amount of power output lost is not significant enough to justify purchasing an over-kill PSU.

PSU's efficiency drops significantly below 10% load and they tend to degrade a bit faster under 10% load as well. You would want to keep your system power draw (at idle and load) between 20-60% of your PSU's rated wattage.

So for OP's current configuration, I would recommend a 500-550w PSU :) Anything higher is highly overkill unless OP would use his rig for F@H 24/7 where his system will be at 100% no doubt.

camperjm

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/K1gZT.png

Sorry if I seem retarded but what is Prime95? I will update this.

camperjm

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Oh yeah so It's like IntelBurnTest.

I did some tests before and it seemed stable. Max temperature was 52 degrees celsius.

From what I'm seeing, your NB temperatures are still within reason. I'm very concerned about your VRM's, however. Do you currently have your CPU overclocked? If so, what frequency and how much voltage are you pushing through your chip?

I'm also curious about what your load temperatures are. If you are using an aftermarket heatsink and if your CPU was idling in the screenshot you posted, it is running a bit on the warm side. (I would also like to know your ambient temperatures if you will). I'm suspecting this may have to do with throttling, but I'm still unsure from what I can tell.

**EDIT**

Just noticed your previous post.

Does this issue only occur on BF3? Or is this issue present on other titles you've played as well? Also, as I've previously said, the lack of a heatsink on your VRM's is my prime suspect at the moment.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708016

I would highly recommend purchasing this (If you don't have the cash for a new motherboard at the moment) and see if there's any help with overclocking and/or performance. I'm not too certain, however, your VRM mounting holes appear to be exactly identical to my brothers old GA-970-D3 motherboard.

DSCF0690.jpg

I will do some more research and see if I can find a possible solution to your issues.

camperjm

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it.

Well it does occur on every other first person shooter I have played on this computer. On my old one this problem does not occur, but my frames per second are so low so I am not playing on that computer.