Problems resolving MX records for some domains?

We are running Windows 2000 and Exchange 2000 with all service packs up to
date.

Our Exchange server has problems connecting to some domains for mail
delivery. The messages hang in the queue. attbi.com is one of the culprits.

When I do (e.g.)

nslookup -type=mx attbi.com

... in each case, no mx record is returned. I get a general listing of
information for the domain:

attbi.com
primary name server = ns.attbi.com
responsible mail addr = hostmaster.ns.attbi.net
serial = xxxxxxxx
refesh = xxxxxxx
expire = xxxxxxxxx
default TTL = xxxxxxxxx

Could this be due to a misconfiguration of our DNS server that could lead to
the mail delivery problems?

Michele Cooper

Michele Cooper wrote:
> We are running Windows 2000 and Exchange 2000 with all service packs
> up to date.
>
> Our Exchange server has problems connecting to some domains for mail
> delivery. The messages hang in the queue. attbi.com is one of the
> culprits.
> When I do (e.g.)
>
> nslookup -type=mx attbi.com
>
> .. in each case, no mx record is returned. I get a general listing of
> information for the domain:
>
> attbi.com
> primary name server = ns.attbi.com
> responsible mail addr = hostmaster.ns.attbi.net
> serial = xxxxxxxx
> refesh = xxxxxxx
> expire = xxxxxxxxx
> default TTL = xxxxxxxxx
>
> Could this be due to a misconfiguration of our DNS server that could
> lead to the mail delivery problems?
>
> Michele Cooper

When I tried it, I got the same thing you did. I tried different things,
even changing it to use TCP only. My conclusion is they do not have an MX
record. I checked with dnsreport.com and they said the same thing.

http://dnsreport.com/tools/mail.ch?domain=attbi.com

It's not your server, it's them.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

Paramount: What's up with taking Enterprise off the air??