Problems running co-op games

deifyer

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014
My friend and i have tried to play some co op games together, like Borderlands 2, orcs must die 2, van helsing etc. on Steam and most of the time we get either quite laggy connection which makes it quite hard to play, or we fail to make a connection at all.

We have no problems playing mmorpgs like gw2 or swtor or other server based games(diablo 3, killing floor, l4d2, firefall) but no luck with co-op.

We are running the same versions of the games and our net speeds should not be the issues, i'm on fiber with 5mb up/down and he is on cable with 1mb up/down.

I can host these games and other people can connect and play and i can join others as well and so can he, but not each other..

You might want to try Hamachi.
Not sure if those games you mentioned have LAN, but if they dont, usually its eitehr one of you lagging (I doubt it is the case since you can play on other games), or the servers you are playing on are laggy.
If the second is true, unless you find another server, you are a bit out of luck. (A good example of a crappy serer is the one at dark souls 1).

deifyer

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014

Tunngle or Hamachi might help yes, but since all those games have their own connection options i see no reason why i need to use those.. and even if we manage to play using them, every other friend who wanted to join us would also need to set hamachi up and some just don't want to bother. Also I've used hamachi previously and in some games when it is set up it interferes when trying to connect to online servers..