Problems testing 486 motherboards

guferr

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Can anyone here help me?

I'm trying to test two 486 motherboards i have, and they support both, intel and amd 486 DX-4.
I have 24Mb of RAM in 4 memory sticks, a 4Mb S3 Virge /DX PCI video card, and a 1440Mb 44-pin IDE Notebook hard drive that i adapted to 40-pin IDE.

Both are identical (one have a intel i486 on it, and the other a Am486), but one of them is full of rust, i'm just finishing dissolving the rust, after this i'll wash to remove the rust remover, and then dry it.

Once the one with the intel processor had no significant rusted parts, i took it first.

DOS runs fine on it, but it won't run memtest or the optimized Win XP i created for it
(and i already tested running it with only 20Mb of memory on the virtual machine, and i only installed generic drivers on it for compatibility, it worked absolutely fine in various old motherboards with only 32Mb on them)
, the memtest simply reboots, and the Win XP freezes after loading the kernel, it doesn't even start loading the drivers, it just freezes.

I tested different versions of the memtest, all them recognize the CPU, the caches and the memory, but all of them reboot when they would start the testing, even in the fail-safe mode.

I tried adjusting the settings on the BIOS, i disabled caches, shadows, buffers, and tried different memory timing settings, but no one seems to help with this.

Do anyone here know if this is a problem with the architecture itself, or if this is an actual hardware error?

I don't think memtest wouldn't be compatible with the i486, it runs fine using 32-bit protected mode and the 32-bit externded Real-mode, i tested it by myself, i made a little bootable code to enter the protected mode and the extended real-mode to do simple tests with the instructions and the memory, but it didn't reveal any problem.

Thanks by the attention.

memtest i'm not sure about...

As for XP...really? man I had a buddy with a 486 back in the day and I put Windows 98se on there. He had 32 megs of ram and a 66mhz 486 and that sucks ran SLLLLLOOOOWWWW...I wouldn't even try installing anything higher than 95 on a 486 machine.

guferr

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

I didn't try to install it, i used a pre-installed image of an optimized windows XP, it only have generic drivers, the essential services and the essential data, it is very lighter than a normal win 98.
It only have 300Mb of files, including the 128Mb pagefile, and it only takes 19Mb of memory to load and run, it shouldn't have a problem running with 24Mb, and not either with this CPU, it should simply get slow.
And, as i said, it worked fine on old computers, it booted up in 25s on a Pentium MMX with 32Mb, it didn't seem too slow on that.

TRENDING THREADS