Problems to obtain expected performance from SCSI

G

Hi,
I've added to a PC I use to record music a freshly bought Adaptec 19160 in order to drive a SCSI disk model Compaq MAB3091SC.
I connected the disk to the SCSI board through the LVD/SE connector (on the disk side I've added a small adapter to accept a LVD/SE cable), but I wonder 'cause using a couple of benchmarking software (SiSoft Sandra & EZ-SCSI Benchmark v 5.0)I obtain from both a sequential I/O of around 12500 Kbytes. I've tried to put the board on different PCI slots, I double checked the cable too, it looks correctly connected (I connected the connector with the terminator to the HD, and the first connector to the board) but unsuccessfully. Board is configured w/ID 7, Disk is ID 0.
I invested on this Ultra 160 SCSI 'cause I need high performance in digital recording through professional software like Cubase, Digidesign or Logic. I wonder if somebody could suggest me where I'm going wrong, or why I'm not reaching adequate performance.
I'm using Win98SE (w/updated SCSI drivers downloaded from Adaptec site) on a custom PC, based on ASUS A7Pro mainboard (chipset VIA Apollo KT133), AMD Athlon 1GHz, 256 MB RAM, 1 UDMA 66 HD (type 47), ASUS CDROM 50x, REALTEK RTL8139 PCI as a network board, ASUS GEFORCE 2 MX NVIDIA, ADAPTEC 19160 SCSI + Compaq SCSI HD 9Gb MAB3091SC, plus a MIDIMAN DMAN 2044 A/D recording board, and a USB MIDI box.

Many thanks in advance

Pier Paolo

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I looked up the drive on <A HREF="http://www.storagereview.com/" target="_new">StorageReview</A>. It's a Fujitsu 7200RPM...and it's pretty old (older than Sept. 1999 anyways). You're doing nothing wrong with your config; it turns out that 12MB/sec is actually the drive's normal sustained transfer rate.

You might be better off getting a Cheetah X15...

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg" target="_new">http://kelledin.tripod.com/scovsms.jpg</A>

G

and you have nothing to really gain by using SCSI for applications that need pure STR performance. Yes the Cheetah X15 will do you justice if you want to fork the money over for one. But you can get very good STR performance (very close to the X15) from new 7200 IDE drives that are far cheaper and more space. In fact, the Seagate Baracuda ATAIII drive pumps nearly as good an STR as the X15.

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***

G

You would be better off with the X15, but I would suggest waiting for the 2nd generation X15 to come out this summer.

It will be about the same price the 1st X15 is currently at, have more technologically matured mechanisms, and while the Barracuda ATA III has just a little bit less STR than the current X15 (just over 40 MB/sec), the next X15 will have even a little less seek time and blow the Cuda ATA III away in STR with a specified 69 Mbytes/sec STR. If anything, wait until the 2nd X15 comes out and grab the 1st X15 at a reduced price.