[SOLVED] Problems trying to Image OS from SSD(512) to my new M.2 SSD(4k)

Dec 20, 2020
So as the title says I'm trying to clone my OS from my old SSD(Crucial MX300) to my new SSD(corsair MP510) but since it's 512 and 4k it wont work with a direkt clone. have been googling around alot about this and read that you do a image of the OS drive(in my case the MX300) and transfer it to a different drive, and I have a 2tb SSHD with enough space on it for my OS image. So I created a partition on my SSHD that is around 40gb bigger than my OS drive and put a uncompressed Image on it using Macrium Reflect. ive tried using W10 installtion media and Macriums one, with the W10 one my image file would not be found, with macrium I could found it but instantly got the same old message ''The target disk has an incompatible size for this operation.'' . From what I've read that is exactly what I should have avoided with doing a Image instead of clone.
The drives as mentioned abow are Crucial MX300 275GB (OS Drive) Corsair MP510 1TB (The new drive i want my OS to be on) and my Seagate 2TB SSHD (also 512 what i know)

Solution
Going from SATA to NVMe can be problematic.

Cloning can be great, when conditions are perfect.
When it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

Either keep the OS on the MX500 and use the new one for other stuff, or just do a clean clean install on the new drive.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes. An Image instead of a full clone will work.
All you need is some other drive to save the Image to.

And the Image does not need its own partition. Macrium saves an Image as just a single file. That could be anywhere, on some other drive.

Run Macrium, "Image this drive", and save that to the HDD.
Also, create a Macrium Rescue USB (under Other Tasks)

Power off, disconnect the original drive.
Then, boot from the USB, tell it where the Image is, and what drive to apply it to.
Go.
At the end of the process, power off, boot with ONLY the new drive connected, and see if it boots up properly.

Dec 20, 2020
Power off, disconnect the original drive.
Then, boot from the USB, tell it where the Image is, and what drive to apply it to.
that's where the problem is, maybe wasen't clear enough but I have tried exactly that because that is what i've read on other forums.
When booting to the rescue media via a USB I get the same error message about partiton.
I tried with windows resuemedia and there I cant even select/find the Image file. With macrium reflects rescue media everything is there but as said I get an error message still.
and yes I know i dont need a partition for the image file but did so just to be safe and keep it alone.

Dec 20, 2020
I saved an ''Disk partition image'' file and the name is an ID with numbers and so on. (i used macriums image, no compression etc and a complete image)
booting from the macrium resue usb I get into macriums program(their boot one that is, if you understand) where I have the same options as when i launch the program normaly in windows. below is a screenshot of how it looks(this is in windows but looks the same booting from rescue USB)
View: https://imgur.com/a/jNDmhqX

USAFRet

Titan
Update: So I deleted everyting on the drive and made it MBR. Launched everything and still get the same error message(see link). When formating my M.2 I can choose between formating it to 4k 512(k) and etc. should I try and format it to 512? or will that not work?
View: https://imgur.com/a/kmY1fCA
yes, try it.

Also, "Restored Partition Properties"
You can adjust the resulting size of the whole partition.

Dec 20, 2020
512k didn't work, i find it weird tho how i can choose between all different ones. and do you know if the MX300 I have is 512, 512e or 512k? and if that even matters

USAFRet

Titan

Either keep the OS on the MX500 and use the new one for other stuff, or just do a clean clean install on the new drive.

Solution
Dec 20, 2020

alright thanks for the help anyways. I think I will do like you said and just keep the old drive to make it simple. maybe transfer stuff over to the new one instead.
I really dont wanna do a fresh install, hate having to re download and arrange stuff etc.