Problems w/XP Home Ed. upgrade from 98 + SP2

bernie

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

After upgrading from Win98 to XP Home Edition and later installing SP2
several features are not working:
Search panel is 'blank' and cannot conduct any search for files
The Help & Support feature won't start
Add/Delete Programs has a large blank space in the middle of the list of
programs.
?????
After getting used to Win98, here are a few heacaches to worry about. Any
ideas (besides buying a new computer?).

Look here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm
Scroll down to:
Search - Doesn't Work

Look here:
Click on: Why doesn't Help and Support work?

=====

Courtesy of Kelly
Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Add or Remove - White Space
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#ws

[[This is generally due to the DisplayIcon having a negative number. From
here you can either remove the negative number or remove the last
application listed:
Start/Run/Regedit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{} ]]

AutoCad Fix
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autocadaddremovefix.zip

Autodesk Land Desktop 3 Fix
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip

===

I have AutoCAD LT 2000i. The white space in Add or Remove Programs usually
shows up after the AutoCAD LT 2000i listing. If you want to tweak the
registry...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0065-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2000i\aclt.exe,-1

Notice the aclt.exe,-1?? You can change it to read aclt.exe,1

Or you can run one of the fixes. I have both autocadaddremovefix.zip &
autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip. They both include icons.
autocadaddremovefix.vbs is the one that works for me. It's easier to use
the fix than changing the -1.

I get the white space in Add or Remove Programs every time that I add or
remove a program. It isn't always AutoCAD LT that has the white space after
it, sometimes it's another program. At any rate, one of the fixes will
work. Until the next time. ;-)

autocadaddremovefix.vbs adds an autocad.ico icon to the %systemroot%\web
folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Value Data: %systemroot%\web\autocad.ico

autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.vbs adds an acad.ico icon to the
%systemroot%\web folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0138-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Value Data: %systemroot%\web\acad.ico