[SOLVED] Problems while playing GTA 5

Legend1

Honorable
Apr 5, 2017
Since the recent giveaway of GTA 5 by Epic Games Store, I have downloaded the game on my i5 650, GT710, 4GB RAM. Yeah I know that this build is not the best one to play GTA 5 so I was planning to buy a new PC but due to the recent pandemic...

So after playing the game for a while and using MSI Afterburner, I found out that the game runs smoothly around 30-35 Fps when playing in the neighborhood but after driving for a time or after joining and playing GTA Online, the GPU usage goes down from 90-100% to 0% for a while and the games starts to lag whereas the CPU usage is around 60-85% and RAM is around 3250MB. Any ideas about what has happened??

Solution
I tried running the game on 800x600 at lowest details and there is comparatively less lags but i have a question why is it that in the youtube videos, the guys having the same rig face ko laga. Btw sorry for the late reply.

What are you meaning by lag? Low FPS and lag are not the same thing. Not sure what ko laga is.

I would wager most of those vidoes are people with better specs otherwise.

For example, take this guy.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwMwIrnEb1Y

Yes, he gets playable FPS with a GT 710. Not good FPS -- there are dips under 40 even at 800x600 -- but it's mostly playable. But he has a Xeon that's much faster than your i5-650 and 16 GB of system RAM to work with. It's...

Legend1

Honorable
Apr 5, 2017
You're destroying your RAM usage and GPU. The CPU too. Your system will work but not for long in a game like that. You top the RAM pretty fast and that GPU is not a gaming GPU but more of a home theater GPU to watch movies and light stuff.

Probably hitting the pagefile on your drive for lack of RAM.
But why is it so that when I am not moving that is staying in a fixed place in the game, the game runs extremely smooth but when i drive after a while the games starts lagging and GPU goes from 100% to 0%. I also see people with the same build on YouTube running the game fine without lags???

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
But why is it so that when I am not moving that is staying in a fixed place in the game, the game runs extremely smooth but when i drive after a while the games starts lagging and GPU goes from 100% to 0%

For the same reason a bakery can't make bread if it doesn't have a supply of flour.

You can probably mitigate the problems somewhat with settings, but you haven't given us any info about your settings. You ought to be targeting 800x600 lowest detail on everything with a rig like this. The GT 710 is a GPU for playing solitaire and checking your email.

Legend1

Honorable
Apr 5, 2017
For the same reason a bakery can't make bread if it doesn't have a supply of flour.

You can probably mitigate the problems somewhat with settings, but you haven't given us any info about your settings. You ought to be targeting 800x600 lowest detail on everything with a rig like this. The GT 710 is a GPU for playing solitaire and checking your email.
I tried running the game on 800x600 at lowest details and there is comparatively less lags but i have a question why is it that in the youtube videos, the guys having the same rig. Btw sorry for the late reply.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I tried running the game on 800x600 at lowest details and there is comparatively less lags but i have a question why is it that in the youtube videos, the guys having the same rig face ko laga. Btw sorry for the late reply.

What are you meaning by lag? Low FPS and lag are not the same thing. Not sure what ko laga is.

I would wager most of those vidoes are people with better specs otherwise.

For example, take this guy.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwMwIrnEb1Y

Yes, he gets playable FPS with a GT 710. Not good FPS -- there are dips under 40 even at 800x600 -- but it's mostly playable. But he has a Xeon that's much faster than your i5-650 and 16 GB of system RAM to work with. It's still an ancient, non-gaming GPU, but it's an ancient, non-gaming GPU that's not being suffocated due to lack of memory bandwidth.

There's no magic solution here. GTA V's aging, but there are limits; you have the slowest Westmere i5, released a decade ago, RAM that was barely passable for an entry-level rig 10 years ago, and an old GPU not meant for games, and this was a AAA title.

Simply put, the parts here are inadequate for the task you're asking of it. You might get it to barely playable without enough testing and settings changes, but I can't imagine you'll get to the point where it's actually enjoyable.

Reactions: Legend1
Solution