Problems with 9800 GT xfx

sycosquirl18

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
Alright so I recently assembled a new computer, optimized for gaming. Here are the specs:

=================================
-Windows XP Home Edition SP3
Processor:
-AMD Phenom II Black Edition x4 940 ~3.00Ghz
GPU:
-XFX Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT 512MB
Motherboard:
-Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P (Does NOT have onboard graphics)
PSU:
-Antec Truepower Trio 430w ATX12v v2.2
RAM:
-Kingston DDR2 4gb PC2-6400 800Mhz
Case:
-Antec 900 Advanced Gaming Case
=================================

Whenever playing games, pretty much any game, my computer will freeze. The screen will stop refreshing, and some colored static will come over the image on the monitor. Music in the background will continue playing. Occasionally if I wait a few seconds then the screen will go black, and any sounds playing will stop. On one occasion has the computer actually shut down on its own. This happens with ANY game. Everything from graphic intensive games like Crysis and Oblivion to an older game like Halo 1. I have done lots of research and tested as many solutions as I can, but to no avail. I have tested my ram with Windows Memory Diagnostic (took over 24 hours >.<), I have reverted to older video card drivers (after cleaning out old ones with Driver Cleaner). I do not think the problem is overheating, because some crashes do not occur for hours, while some happen within five minutes of playing Halo, which should not even begin to stress my video card. I do not know what to try next. Thanks in advance for your help, I have been trying to solve this for months.

sycosquirl18

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009

I am currently using the drivers that came with the video card, installed from the CD included. "XFX 9 Series. Version 178.24W". I had previously done updates periodically from the Nvidia website, using the latest available each time.