[SOLVED] Problems with a gaming laptop

Mar 16, 2022
Hey first time posting here, so if I forget to put something, sorry, also English is not my native language so sorry if some words are wrong or something.
I have a Legion 5-15IMH05H (Lenovo) - Type 81Y6 I bought it last year, and everything was running just perfect, the thing is, one week ago I started to have huge fps problems, is like I playing just normal but in one stance the fps drops out of nowhere for like 10-20 seconds and then everything is just normal again, so I recorded the problems on two games, genshin impact and Halo MCC with the msi afterburner and I noticed that the MHz speed of my gpu drops from 960 to 300 on my clips.
My specs are:
-Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz (12 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
-RTX 2060
-16 GB RAM
-1TB SSD (Im using 512gb right now)
-BIOS: EFCN52WW (type: UEFI)
Also if you guys wanna see the clips here is the link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yg1q0eA_928RZkPQa_WVdcK8eJO3uCnA?usp=sharing

Solution
Oh, your GPU temps are on the high side. Have you cleaned the laptop out recently. Dust and gunk can build up preventing the fans from dissipating the heat from the chips. This can cause throttling, which winds the clockspeeds back.. At 90-95 on your CPU, it's likely it's throttling too.
Hey there,

What windows power plan are you running? If not on 'High' setting try that and see if it helps.

Also, in the Nvidia Control Panel, Manage 3d settings, and then in power management mode, switch that to 'Prefer maximum performance. See if that helps.

What temps are your CPU/GPU hitting when the clocks drop? You can also monitor this with MSI OSD.

Reactions: Eljefefiester
Mar 16, 2022
Srry for the late response,so:
  1. at the star i had the "balanced" option for energý and I didnt have the "high" option but I opened cmd and put "powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61" and then I selected the high powerplan and that helped me a little bit, but the MHz drops still there
  2. I already have the "prefer the maximun performance" setting activated
  3. My gpu temp when that happens its 86°C or 89°C, and my CPU can go from 90 to 95°C

Oh, your GPU temps are on the high side. Have you cleaned the laptop out recently. Dust and gunk can build up preventing the fans from dissipating the heat from the chips. This can cause throttling, which winds the clockspeeds back.. At 90-95 on your CPU, it's likely it's throttling too.

Solution