[SOLVED] Problems with a RAID-0 twin SSD setup

May 14, 2020
I have three drives,
two SanDisk SSD PLUS 1000GB drives,
and one WDC WD10 1tb HDD.

I formatted the two SSDs, converted them from basic to dynamic, created a volume on one and set it to one 1.9tb striped volume meant for RAID-0.
I set my motherboards sata mode to raid from achi, then set up an array with the two SSDs as RAID-0.
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/SVUySr6

So at this point I’m confused on whether you can install/boot Windows on a 2-combined-in-one RAID-0 dynamic striped drives or not, with a lot of posts saying you can and some posts and articles saying you can’t.
I disconnected the HDD with Windows on it and booted solely the 2 combined SSDs with a usb stick with a windows install on it. It just keep going to ‘automatic repair’ every time I would restart would go into automatic repair. I hooked up my HDD and booted it off the 2 drives again and it worked, I setup windows and windows was on the drives that I set up as raid-0 dynamic striped drives. I checked disk management though and the 2 drives combined as one were reverted back to basic, not dynamically striped, not raid-0.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Solution
Im aware the setup is not optimal, however it is required.
So what I need to do is set the motherboard into RAID mode, boot off regular HDD, setup SSDs on windows as dynamically striped via disk management, and then setting up windows in the 2 combined SSDs would work?
No. You want to just create a single RAID volume in your motherboards hardware RAID and that's it. There is no need to make another RAID volume in Windows as Windows will only see the RAID 0 drives as a single 1.9TB volume. After making the array you will want to boot to a USB drive and then just install Windows onto the 1.9TB volume.

I also 2nd the question as to why you need to have the RAID 0?
I have three drives,
two SanDisk SSD PLUS 1000GB drives,
and one WDC WD10 1tb HDD.

I formatted the two SSDs, converted them from basic to dynamic, created a volume on one and set it to one 1.9tb striped volume meant for RAID-0.
I set my motherboards sata mode to raid from achi, then set up an array with the two SSDs as RAID-0.
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/SVUySr6

So at this point I’m confused on whether you can install/boot Windows on a 2-combined-in-one RAID-0 dynamic striped drives or not, with a lot of posts saying you can and some posts and articles saying you can’t.
I disconnected the HDD with Windows on it and booted solely the 2 combined SSDs with a usb stick with a windows install on it. It just keep going to ‘automatic repair’ every time I would restart would go into automatic repair. I hooked up my HDD and booted it off the 2 drives again and it worked, I setup windows and windows was on the drives that I set up as raid-0 dynamic striped drives. I checked disk management though and the 2 drives combined as one were reverted back to basic, not dynamically striped, not raid-0.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Perhaps I am not following this correctly, but did you first use Windows to make a RAID volume followed by the motherboard?

Yes but the bios was still seeing the two drives separately, however could this be the culprit?
You only use software RAID, ie Windows RAID, if you don't have a hardware RAID controller.

That being said there isn't a very good reason to make a RAID 0 from SSD. Yes it will be faster than a single drive, but in essence you are halving the life of the drives. Reason is if one drive fails you lose your entire array.

May 14, 2020
You only use software RAID, ie Windows RAID, if you don't have a hardware RAID controller.

That being said there isn't a very good reason to make a RAID 0 from SSD. Yes it will be faster than a single drive, but in essence you are halving the life of the drives. Reason is if one drive fails you lose your entire array.

So what I need to do is set the motherboard into RAID mode, boot off regular HDD, setup SSDs on windows as dynamically striped via disk management, and then setting up windows in the 2 combined SSDs would work?

No. You want to just create a single RAID volume in your motherboards hardware RAID and that's it. There is no need to make another RAID volume in Windows as Windows will only see the RAID 0 drives as a single 1.9TB volume. After making the array you will want to boot to a USB drive and then just install Windows onto the 1.9TB volume.

I also 2nd the question as to why you need to have the RAID 0?

Solution
May 14, 2020
Issue is solved.

I set (had set) the sata mode to RAID and booted Windows off the HDD, Windows loaded up, I checked disk management and the main drive was the one dynamic striped drive. Thanks all!