slack2

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
Here is the system I've built:

Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (133 FSB)
Memory: 2 x 256MB PC2100 from Crucial
Hard Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda V SATA 80GB hdds configured as RAID 0
Video Card: Aopen geforce4 440MX (Crap, I know. that'll be upgraded later)
CD ROM: ASUS cd burner (can't remember the model number and I'm no where near it)
Floppy Drive: Cheapo generic something or other.

The problem I'm having is Windows XP Home edition doesn't appear to be loading correctly. It installs with minimum fuss (of course the RAID driver hasn't passed windows cert.), but the destop only has the recycle bin icon and the menu bar doesn't have any quick launch icons in it. I really don't care about that stuff anyway, but then when I try to do Windows Updates my system fails. I start off trying to download and install SP1a with no success. It downloads just fine, but after it tries to install the download (the part where it tries to install or update the cab files, to be more specific) I get an error stating "The catalog file could not be updated". If I try to reinstall SP1a I get a new error "Setup could not find the Update.ini file". If I try to follow the help section on Microsoft's website and change certain file, I find they don't exist on my system.
Has anyone successfully set up RAID 0 using SATA hardrives and the Silicon Image 3112 controller under WinXP Home (or Pro)? If so, which drivers did you use during setup? I've tried the updated driver from ASUS and another from Silicon Image for the 3112 controller. Both had same results and none where windows certified, even though they where suppose to be for WinXP. So what am I missing?
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm tired of reloading windows every night just to try something else.
I will say with this setup, it's the fastest booting computer I've ever built or seen. I'd just like to see what it'll do once it's ready for real use!

TIA
Jeff

TeeJay1952

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2003
I don't have the raid setup so I can't comment on that but I have been following this board and might suggest you Install XP on the IDE chain. Install SP1, Motherboard chipset drivers, Raid drivers and then move HD to SATA.