Problems with ati radeon x1600 (low performance)

Tavio

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Hey all!
I'm having some serious problems with my new pc (it's pretty old already, but I bought it recently from a friend).
The configs are as follows:
-Athlon XP 2400+ processor;
-1GB ddr ram;
-ATI Radeon x1600 256mb powercolor pro video card;
-Asus A7V8X-X motherboard;
-Windows XP professional edition with SP2 OS.
The problem I'm having is: I just can't run games the way they should be running. I installed Battlefield 1942 and I only get 19 fps when in action, with all graphics set to medium, no effects and 80% of texture quality. Also, I only get about 22 fps on brothers in arms and about 15-17 on action.
When I try to install the newest driver for the video card (catalyst 7.10), all I get when I run any game is a black screen or an error message. Right now I'm using catalyst 7.6 as the driver, for it's the newest one that works for me.
Also, I have noticed that I can't change the option "AGP speed" on my bios (it's greyed out). When I go to the video card's properties on the device manager, it says that it's location is "PCI 7", while I believe it should say "AGP 8x". I have already installed the drivers for the motherboard's AGP controller (via 4 in 1).
When i go to dxdiag, it says that AGP acceleration is activated (and it was disabled before I installed the 4 in 1 drivers). In aida32, the video card appears under "windows video" and is reported as agp capable, but the "agp/pci video" section right under "windows video" has nothing in it. I have also tried to reinstall the video drivers after installing the most updated version of the 4 in 1, but no deal.
I have not tried to update the bios yet, for I'm afraid I might do something wrong and screw everything up even more.
Does anybody have any idea about what is happening? Any help will be very appreciated. And sorry for the bad english!
Thanks,

TaviO!

P.S.: Recommended system requirements for BF1942 are:
* 800 MHz or faster Intel Pentium III or AMD Athlon processor
* 256 MB or more RAM
* 16x or faster CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive
* 1.2 GB free hard disk space plus space for saved games
* 64 MB or greater video card which supports Transform & Lighting
* Environmental Audio%u2122 capable sound card

Tavio

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Thanks for the answer!
I'm thinking about doing that, but as a last solution... but what good could that do?

zamp

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Sorry for the late post but you need to update your motherboard drivers, yours uses nforce probably

G

the good thing to do would be get a new graphics card =P

you can get 8800 gs's or 9600 gt's for about 100 now... whch is like 10 times better than your x1600 but then your cpu might bottleneck it... o well... try what rodney said... try a os reload