Question Problems with booting a Dell XPS 8500

Dec 15, 2019
I have a Dell XPS 8500 which periodically gives me a

"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" message with a black background on boot when the system starts from a completely powered off state.

The SSD drive I have verified is fine.

If I press esc multiple times I can get into the Operating System which is win10.

Just find it annoying that I have to press the esc key to get it to boot properly.

What do I need to do to fix this so I can boot normally?

Thanks so much in advance.

Go into your bios and make sure your boot drive "C" is selected as first boot. Also if your computer looses it's marbles booting Hit F12 to get to select boot device. There you can select your hard drive.Just an FYI

Also It might be time to replace motherboard battery.

Dec 15, 2019
So the DVD drive was set as the first boot device. I changed this to the internal hard drive but getting the same message when I try to boot as before.

Looking further into the bios I see that Boot mode is set to Legacy and secure boot is off.

I'm wondering if this or something else in the bios needs to be tweaked or changed?

Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks,

Looking further into the bios I see that Boot mode is set to Legacy and secure boot is off.
You can change it to UEIF with secure boot and see what happens. How was the computers set up before it got grumpy Legacy or UEFI

also you can get the motherboard battery at the Dollar store just look at them and get the thicker like a nickel one , the other one they sell is wafer thin

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019
You can change it to UEIF with secure boot and see what happens. How was the computers set up before it got grumpy Legacy or UEFI

also you can get the motherboard battery at the Dollar store just look at them and get the thicker like a nickel one , the other one they sell is wafer thin
Not sure about what boot mode it was set to before.

I set it to UEIF with secure boot and now get the following message

No Boot devide available.

Strike the f1 key to retry boot, f2 to run the setup utility.

Any other advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,