Problems with brand new gaming rig!

antza91

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
So I´ve just bought a new computer and I have two different problems. At first the computer worked great but the second day when i started it up it says my screen has no signal and my mouse and keyboard wont work. I´ve found out a way of fixing this, I just hold down the power button and restart the computer but its just a temporary solution because next time I try to boot up I have to go trough the same procedure.

The other problem I have is that BIOS and Windows only detects 4 Gb RAM altough CPU-Z detects all 6 Gb of RAM. What could be the problem?

My motherboard is an ASUS P8P67 and i have 3x2gb Corsair 1600 Mhz RAM.

Please help :)

pitbull99

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Sounds like the RAM is bad. That happen to me and I did all stuff to it bios chip replacement, new hd, change OS but at the end it was the bad Ram..check it before doing something else. Hope you get it running

P.S. If you can get it running for a lil bit make sure updates are up to date..

antza91

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
I haven´t yet run MEMTEST but I doubt the RAM is bad because when i go in BIOS and change the mhz of the RAM and reboot it shows 6GB which wouldn´t be possible if the RAM was bad, right? But everytime i shut down the computer the same problem appears on the next bootup, meaning the fans and harddrive accelerate and then shut down themselves automaticly and after that start up again, while I´m getting no signal on my display and mouse and keyboard (trough USB) not getting any power. After that I have to shut down the computer using the power button and start up again which makes it work :S. Correct me if I´m wrong but doesn´t that sound like somethings wrong with BIOS setup or drivers?

Anything short of running MEMTEST WILL NOT test all the ram for errors. Being able to get into the BIOS does NOT guarantee that the memory is without errors, just that the bios was able to read the specifications from the RAM modules.

pitbull99

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011

Yeah. Like I told you about my problems before, but soon very soon you won't be able to get into the bios no more. I learn this the hard way and money spend on bios chip, hardrive, cd/dvds, use different OS linux xp,vista windows 7, kubuntu, ubuntu, well you get the idea, but it was the memory, so from now on I do process of elimination. give it a test also run a ckdisk on hd. Hope you get to find out whats the problem and post back so I'll know what to look for when the problem arises at my end! :bounce:

antza91

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
I don´t seem to get MEMTEST working :S When i downloaded the file, unpacked and try to install it I get the message that it doesn´t support 64-bit windows even though it was the only floppy version I found from their homesite.