Problems with Cold Startups

Recently, I have been having problems with starting up my PC after is
has been turned off for me the 1 hour. The only error I receive is
Invalid boot diskette insert boot diskette in A: sometimes. If I take
and turn if off disconnect the drive and power and the plug it back in
it starts up fine. I have ran WD DATA Lifeguard on the drives nothing
shows. I have tried multiple drives same things. Have wrote full O's to
the drive reinstalled just OS and same thing occurs. Sometime I get it
started after about two or three attempts.

This morning what it did after about 30 minutes is it rebooted itself
then I got the Invalid Boot Diskette message. Did my power off and
unplugged and plugged back in start up fine.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Ron

If your machine is a gateway socket A athlon, there was an issue like that
with these early on that is resolved by updating the bios.

Shawn Winget wrote:

> If your machine is a gateway socket A athlon, there was an issue like that
> with these early on that is resolved by updating the bios.
>
> "RDBrimmer" <ronb21@att.net> wrote in message
>
>>Recently, I have been having problems with starting up my PC after is has
>>been turned off for me the 1 hour. The only error I receive is Invalid
>>boot diskette insert boot diskette in A: sometimes. If I take and turn if
>>off disconnect the drive and power and the plug it back in it starts up
>>fine. I have ran WD DATA Lifeguard on the drives nothing shows. I have
>>tried multiple drives same things. Have wrote full O's to the drive
>>reinstalled just OS and same thing occurs. Sometime I get it started after
>>about two or three attempts.
>>
>>This morning what it did after about 30 minutes is it rebooted itself then
>>I got the Invalid Boot Diskette message. Did my power off and unplugged
>>and plugged back in start up fine.
>>
>>Any ideas or suggestions?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Ron

System Model
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
Gateway E-4600 4000762
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
1.90 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Board: Intel Corporation D850GB AAA49507-904
Serial Number: IMGB14421406
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Intel Corp. GB85010A.15A.0046.P13.0108201551 08/20/2001

My guess would be a failing power supply.

"RDBrimmer" <ronb21@att.net> wrote in message
> Recently, I have been having problems with starting up my PC after is
> has been turned off for me the 1 hour. The only error I receive is
> Invalid boot diskette insert boot diskette in A: sometimes. If I take
> and turn if off disconnect the drive and power and the plug it back in
> it starts up fine. I have ran WD DATA Lifeguard on the drives nothing
> shows. I have tried multiple drives same things. Have wrote full O's to
> the drive reinstalled just OS and same thing occurs. Sometime I get it
> started after about two or three attempts.
>
> This morning what it did after about 30 minutes is it rebooted itself
> then I got the Invalid Boot Diskette message. Did my power off and
> unplugged and plugged back in start up fine.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Ron

smith

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003

I had a lower version of that model (1.4Ghz) and my boot and reboot issues
were faulty ram. Try memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/), it'll test the
ram for problems.

Smith