Question Problems with converting Alienware R9 to a custom build using only gpu? please help?

Jan 10, 2022
I am praying someone can help me but this will be a long post forgive me, about a year ago my parents gave me an Alienware aroura r9 with an i5 9400 and a 2060 running windows 10, as of recent it wasn't playing games the way that I wanted them to so I purchased a new case, new MOBO (b550 gaming plus), new CPU ( Ryzen 5 5600x) and new power supply.

I wanted to keep the GPU because I can't afford a new one, to my demise, it seems I did not know what I was doing and now I can not figure out what is going on. I removed all the components from the r9 and assembled the new pc using pretty much only the GPU and RAM from the r9. It booted up first try with no issues and didn't seem to have any issues after running cinnabench and heaven benchmarks and passing both I opened up battlefield 2042 to give it a go. It ran great for about 10 minutes and then it crashed, but this is where it gets weird, it didn't blue screen and it didn't crash to the desktop it just kind of froze and I lost all ability to use my mouse and keyboard.

I also lost internet, but the game was still animated in the background, it just kicked me out to the main menu giving a notice that I was not connected to the internet, I powered down the pc and rebooted it, at witch point the MOBO gave me a CPU light. Fearful I had messed up the thermal paste, I took the pc apart and cleaned and reapplied thermal paste, booted up and loaded the game with hw monitor on, on my second screen to watch temps;

After about 15 minutes it crashed again but with hw monitor up the temps looked ok, 75c for CPU 70c GPU. I again rebooted the computer and tried to update drivers to no avail, at this point I tested EVERY component on its own in my roommate's pc, and CPU, GPU, PSU, RAM all worked perfectly in his pc. I assumed at this point it was software/driver related to I did a recover wiping all personal files and started over, after redownloading everything it still did the same thing. At this point I downloaded driver easy and updated all drivers with no fix. Its been about 2 weeks of this and I cannot find a fix, please help.

Jan 10, 2022
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu

latest motherboard bios?
don't use malware like driver easy

Ryzen 5 5600x
Rtx 2060
Evga 700w bronze
Next h510 case
Msi b550 gaming plus mobo

As for bios I'm at work can get it later but I just updated to latest version on the 3rd of this month

I would assume the "upgrade" to Win11 is what is causing issues, which is an easy scape goat since your problems started after that. In my opinion I would make a Win10 boot drive and grab all drivers for your hardware and fresh reinstall Win10. Then install all drivers. These drivers include Graphics drivers for the GPU, Chipset drivers for the CPU, and Audio drivers. I would test from there if you have any issues. Sometimes "upgrades" to newer versions creates corruption in the OS. On the hardware side make sure that every cable is plugged in and snug to each component including to the back of the PSU if it is modular. Check to make sure there are no loose screws floating around in the case.

Jan 10, 2022
Why would he repaste the GPU? Its not running hot enough to be a concern... IMO this is irrelevant advice... Disabling XMP can help decipher if the RAM is stable, but I don't see this as a RAM issue at this time especially considering he said the PC ran fine before the Win11 upgrade.
I would agree that it's most like not thermals I'm gonna do a fresh install of windows 10 tonight after work but it's been a while since I've done a completely fresh install any tips?

I would agree that it's most like not thermals I'm gonna do a fresh install of windows 10 tonight after work but it's been a while since I've done a completely fresh install any tips?
Window media creation tool to make the bootable USB device. It needs to be 8gb minimum. There are plenty of resources online how to do it, but just know its fairly straight forward and easy to do.