Problems with Cooling

Kavinqt

Distinguished
Hello, I have a i7-6700k and a Corsair H60 AIO Cooler, I upgraded recently from an i5-6600k. The 6600k ran at around 40-50c in all games under load with the H60, but now with the i7-6700k I run at 65+c constantly in games not even under load. under load highest I've seen is 76c and the temps jump around like crazy they can go from 40c to high 60s out of nowhere and then back to 50s etc etc it just jumps around A LOT. Not sure what's causing it, if the cooler isn't strong enough to cool it. or if I didn't win the Silicone lottery? but I feel it should not be sitting at 70c under load on little <language edit> games like CS GO. Also, The Pump plugin was plugged into the spot W Pump on my Motherboard, and it didn't show me the RPM's of the pump so I switched it to Cha4, and now its showing it at 3k+ RPM so Not sure if it wasn't even on then or not. but even now that is shows it seems even hotter or about the same as before....

Moderator Edit: Please watch the language

Solution
Lets see if I have this correct, You are overclocking the CPU and using a Corsair H60 AIO Liquid Cooling Solution and complaining of High temps?

If this is true.... Umm... you need better cooling or you will need to lower your overclock to lower the temperatures. The H60 is a about the equivalent to a Cooler Master Hyper 212+/Evo or Cyorg H7 air cooler. These coolers are meant for budget systems with maybe a light overclock and not meant for a heavy overclock.

Your issue is your cooler is not powerful enough to remove the heat the CPU is generating. LOwer the OC or get a better cooling solution.
IF your motherboard has 2 CPU fan headers then plug the Fan into the Main header and the Pump into the Optional header. Not all boards have this but if you do this is the way it should be plugged in.

I agree that cleaning and reapplying the thermal paste is the best start But also be aware that the i7 will heat up more due to it actually works harder because it can handle the extra 4 threads that the i5 didn't have to. Now if reapplying TIM does not help then look in the BIOS/UEFI and start lowering the Vcore voltage by 1 level testing each change till the CPU errors or crashes then up it by 2 levels and retest. This will give you your lowest operating voltage while saving the CPU from generating so much heat.

Kavinqt

Distinguished

I've tried reapplying thermal paste, 2 times now and it doesn't seem to help, I'm currently OC'd at 4.4ghz at 1.25V's I tried going 1.3 and even 1.4 to go to 4.6 ghz and it crashes everytime so I don't think I won the silicone lottery in anyway but I just feel as the chip shouldn't get this hot. I have the CPU fan in the main header and have tried pump in all of my other optional header's I have not tried lowering the Voltages yet as I feel as a 1.25v at 4.4 ghz just should not be anywhere near these temps. Was thinking maybe a new cooler would fix the problems but not 100% :/

Lets see if I have this correct, You are overclocking the CPU and using a Corsair H60 AIO Liquid Cooling Solution and complaining of High temps?

If this is true.... Umm... you need better cooling or you will need to lower your overclock to lower the temperatures. The H60 is a about the equivalent to a Cooler Master Hyper 212+/Evo or Cyorg H7 air cooler. These coolers are meant for budget systems with maybe a light overclock and not meant for a heavy overclock.

Your issue is your cooler is not powerful enough to remove the heat the CPU is generating. LOwer the OC or get a better cooling solution.

Solution

Kavinqt

Distinguished

What Cooler would be good enough you think an H100? or just a big heatsink?

The H100i will work fine and keep the heavy weight off of the CPU socket unlike the Big Air coolers. They are heavy and only supported by the motherboard right around the socket. The H100i is a dual 120mm radiator so be sure that your case can accommodate a 240mm radiator.

If you choose to go Big Air look into the Noctua D14 and D15 coolers since they have some of the best air cooling but they are heavy.

TRENDING THREADS