Problems with Coolmax CUL-850B

Beholder88

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
So I may have made a noob mistake. I built a rig using a Coolmax CUL850B PSU. I got it bundled with a bunch of other components through Portatech.com. Since getting it, I've run into some issues. If, and I say IF it powers on the computer, it will run just fine without issue. The moment I shut the system down, the light on my motherboard goes off, and it will not power back on. I have to fiddle with it, unplug cords, unplug from the wall, switch it on and then off again. I went through everything I possibly could to ensure there is nothing grounding out, all the way to insulating the board from the case. I also had the issue when I breadboarded the setup, outside the case. It did it to me again tonight, and now the power switch seems to be stuck in the on position, and will not set in the off position. I still have time to return/exchange it, but wanted some input first.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Return it they are horrible power supplies.

Tier 5 - Other than the units listed above for any of these brands, NOT RECOMMENDED. Replace ASAP if you have one.

A-TOP Technology
Apevia
APEX (SUPERCASE/ALLIED)
Aspire(Turbo Case)
ATADC
Athena Power
ATRIX
Broadway Com Corp
Coolmax<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Deer
Diablotek
Dynapower USA
Dynex
EagleTech
FOXCONN
FSP Everest
HEC Orion
Hiper Type-R
Huntkey
I-Star Computer Co. Ltd
In Win
JPAC COMPUTER
Just PC
Kingwin Inc.
Linkworld Electronics
Logisys Computer
MGE
MSI
NMEDIAPC
Norwood Micro/ CompUSA
NorthQ
NZXT
Okia
Powmax
Q-Tec
Raidmax
Rocketfish
Rosewill
SFC
Shuttle
Skyhawk
Spire Coolers
Star Micro
STARTECH
Thermaltake Purepower NP
Thermaltake Purepower RU
Thermaltake TR2 (and TR2-RX)
TOPOWER TOP
Ultra X-Connect
Ultra X2 >greater than 700 watt
Ultra LSP
Wintech
XION
YoungYear
Zebronics

Beholder88

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013

I am running an ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0, with an AMD FX 8350, ASUS GeForce 660ti OC, 16GB RAM, 4 120mm fans and a 200mm fan. Standard air cooling on the CPU, no water or anything. Also not overclocking anything at this point. Really didn't get far enough into things to start any overclocking.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($48.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $48.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-11 22:36 EST-0500)

OR

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($77.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $77.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-11 22:38 EST-0500)

If you plan on overclocking jump to a 650w quality unit , made by Seasonic , XFX , Antec.

Beholder88

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013

Forgive me, as I'm new to this. But 550 - 600w? I don't plan on doing any hardcore gaming or anything, and no overclocking to the point that I will need a water cooling unit. Just want to make sure I'm not under-powered.

Beholder88

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013

I might have been looking too far into it. I know the FX 8350 can be a power hog as well. I've seen some estimates of up to 300w for the CPU alone.

Those numbers have been measured under Extreme overclocks with Liquid Nitrogen cooling. Nobody with conventional air cooling will come close to those numbers.