Question Problems with Core Clock overclocking EVGA 970 SC ACX2.0

Chad1123

Distinguished
May 31, 2012
I overclocked both Memory and Core separately to test their limits, but going anything about +50 (1180 MHz) on my Core Clock results in a black screen crash.
I'm not an expert by any means when it comes to overclocking, but it seems a little odd I can go to +800 on my Memory Clock and not be able to go above 50 on my core. I did notice this is a "SC" card, but i've seen multiple threads of people overclocking the exact same card and getting around 1600 Core Clock with no crashing.
My Power Limit is set to 110% (Max) and the card is NOT running hot. I'm kinda suspecting my power supply not giving it enough power, but would that cause a black screen crash to happen when overclocking Core Clock? Any help is much appreciated!

The crashes happen during Kombustor stress test. Also the hottest I've ever seen it run was 65 C during stress test over 5 minute period but it still uses 99% of the GPU and only runs it at 42 fps.

Last edited:

Chad1123

Distinguished
May 31, 2012
No, I have never increased voltage because I wasn't sure if I could possible harm the card and didn't know how much to increase it by and what results I should see. What would increasing voltage help me to do? Let me know how much I should increase it by and i'll give it a try. Thanks

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Increasing voltage lets you increase your frequency further, but also increase heat/temperature to a larger degree than increasing frequency. This is a very basic overclocking knowledge. I suggest reading/watching some overclocking guides before going further. Shouldn't be hard to find using google.

Last edited:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
you bump it by 50hz on the mem and getting a crash than theres something wrong.
as my 970 will do +495 on the ram and 186 on the core.
this is typical of the 970 msi card i have... some other lower tier cards managed 300 ram and 150 on the core. but they all can oc past 50hz on ram... even without adjusting the power envelope...
He said he can OC the VRAM no problem. It's the core that he can only go +50. And that's probably because he hasn't increased voltage at all.