problems with crossfire hd 5970s and p67a-ud3-b3 board

henners29

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016
hi all, i was wondering if someone could help me. I'm putting a computer together for a friend using some of my older parts. I have 2 fully working HD5970s. and trying to get them to crossfire, llike I had in my old system.
we have a gigabyte p67a-ud3-b3 board.. The graphics card slots are a pcie 16x and a pcie 4x slot.
and the problem is the card in the bottom slot only runs one GPU.
So when they are both plugged in there is only 3 gpus showing in device manager.
Is there anything I can do to get the second gpu running on the 4x slot?
I have rolled back to older drivers as people have mentioned that crossfire doesn't work with the latest. I have tried both cards in the top slot and they both work fully there.
It's just as soon as I put it in the bottom 4x slot it runs only one GPU.
Another thing I have noticed, is that the bottom card isn't recognised at all when the sound card or wifi card are installed in the pcie1x or 2 slot.
Both of these my friend needs.
So is it a no go for crossfire with this board!?
Looking forward to any replies, as this is racking my brain!

henners29

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016
also another observation is that when the hd5970 is plugged in the top 16x slot the drivers are working fine, all looks good, with both gpus working in device manager.
But when I try it in the 4x bottom slot to check things are working, not only is just one gpu running, but it looks like theres no driver installed. A box came up saying either a driver not installed or it's not working properly.

henners29

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016
might someone know if it's not possible to have all 4 gpus running on this board. Is it because the bottom slot is a 4x?

When it comes to this sort of thing, I'm a bit lost. The box says crossfire, and assumed it would work.
Just wondering if someone could tell me if its purly because each card has basically 2 gpus.