Problems with deleting Programs(x86)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapidicus

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
I wanted to transfer my applications to my 2nd (D: ) Drive. I copied programs (x86) to D: and deleted it from C:. None of my shortcuts were working. I decided to do a reset in windows settings. After it shutdown, the loading bar saying "Resetting your PC" got stuck at 9%. I decided to shut down and log back in. When I got on the desktop a piece of text kept poping up NVIDIA experience error. (-6). How do I just go back to a fresh restart to where I got into windows for the first time.

(Ps. I know I could of just uninstalled steam and other apps and selected them to download to D: drive)

sorryboi

Reputable
Dec 26, 2016
You may not need to reset your system.
First, open the Run menu using Win+R. In there, type in this: "services.msc" - without the quotes. Hit enter. Then, in there, restart ALL Nvidia services. (right-click choose restart) IMAGE HELP: http://i.imgur.com/KpAw1Oc.png
Then, once you have done that, simple re-open GeForce Experience, and the error should no longer occur!

If you do in fact want to reset completely, type in 'Reset' in your start menu and you should see a menu option stating 'Reset this PC'. Press that, and under 'Reset this PC', hit 'Get started' and follow the prompt. Note: backup any important files if you consider resetting.

USAFRet

Titan
Not trying to be funny, but if there was a 100% wrong way to do what you desired....you found it.

As you've found, you can't just copy/paste/delete the folder Program Files(x86).
Doesn't work like that.

An easy way to fix this would be just to recover from the backup you made before you did this. Or from yesterday.
But I'm guessing you don't have that.

At this point, a fresh OS install is probably required.
Boot from your install media (which OS is this?), and start over.
If you don't have an install DVD or USB, go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home

Rapidicus

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
Before I messed everything up, my friend came over with a windows custom cd which bypassed some code and made it free to get windows. If I use that Microsoft link will I have to pay for windows because I do not have a key for it

USAFRet

Titan

And...we're done here.
Windows is not 'free'.

Tom's Hardware does not condone or assist with pirated software.
You're on your own with this.

Rapidicus

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
and do I click "Download tool now"

You've been told we won't advise you on the use of a pirated copy of Windows or any other software.

So, with that in mind, what is inviting you to download and from where? If the answer is not Microsoft, don't even bother to reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.