Question Problems with Dell on a Brand New Workstation

dan99t

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Hi,
I badly need help. I am 71 years old.

I bought a brand new Dell Workstation 3660.
It arrived on July 2nd & was installed on July 7, 2022 by Dell appointed engineer.
Right away after installation I told him that I wanted to check & make sure that system boots & all peripherals are working because I had paid for installation. Right away I found that Microphone was not working & he tried with no success. He was in a hurry & wanted me to sign the papers & just put a remark that microphone is not working & he said Dell engineer will call back. I refused to sign papers & he talked to his boss & left without my signature.

This is a multi-monitor system with 2 NVIDIA T-600 GPUs running 8 Monitors. Over the weekend after July 7th,
I found that resolution on Two monitor is different. These are the same monitors that I am working with another Dell system for many years & still do, so that ruled out that monitor was not the problem.

On following Monday July 11th 2022 a Dell engineer called & remotely worked on my system for almost two hours without success & he hung up. ( May be Dell has a time limit, I don't know ) I wrote to Dell that they should replace this system & give me brand new one that works. Instead they said that they will send parts & I said no as this is a brand new system that has not worked out of the box.

2 days later on Wednesday another Dell engineer called & worked online for 2 hours with no success.
Every time they want to log on the new system, I have disconnect 8 monitors from my current system & connect them to new system & back to current when they are done.

So after 3 engineer's unsuccessful attempts, they said we will dispatch a senior engineer ( From subcontracted Company ) for full day who came on Saturday & spent full day with no success so I raised the issue & told them that I am done.
So they asked the opinion of the engineer who worked twice & he called me & told me that it is not going to work because of lack of 2 full X16 PCIe slot ( They have put second card on X4 slot ) & he has conveyed that message to someone in charge of workstation.

So I thought that now they will make things right & waited another week but didn't hear from them.

So I wrote them again last Friday, July 29 & told them that they have wasted one month of my time & their time & gave them 3 choices :
(1) Send me a new system in working condition without any issues.
(2) Send me another model that has two full length PCIe X16 slots with similar configuration.
(3) Give me my money back.

I got a reply from my sales guy that they have escalated the case to the next level to look into the issue.

People who are using Dell system & those who are not or have used in past kindly help me as to what can I do ?

Thank You all.

Lutfij

Titan
If you can't source a system/workstation of similar spec/nature for your task, you are technically bound to get the system from Dell...albeit one that they're claiming to be in working order with the right allocation of lanes to the PCIe slots.

Do you have access to Puget Systems? If so, then a refund isn't a bad idea though, please be careful, are they giving you a refund in the sense that it's store credit or are they going to reimburse the funds to you?

dan99t

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
albeit one that they're claiming to be in working order with the right allocation of lanes to the PCIe slots

They are not claiming anything. I myself did the research & found that they have such a model & asked them to give me that model.

But all they have done is to bring a new guy to work on it without any success. And I have to connect & disconnect the monitors whenever they bring a new guy.. It is a hassle & takes up a lot of my time & a lot of stress on video card ports.

This is a brand new system which came with hardware defects from day one so they have to replace it. Instead they are giving me a run around.

dan99t

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Do you have access to Puget Systems? If so, then a refund isn't a bad idea though, please be careful, are they giving you a refund in the sense that it's store credit or are they going to reimburse the funds to you?
I don't have access to Puget Systems.
And they are not giving refund. It is me that asked to give a full refund since they are not able to make system work.