Problems with dual ATI cards

chesbrougha

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
dual ATI 3870x2 cards, Intel X9650, 6 GB RAM, windows 7...

My computer has never really worked right and I think the issue is my ATI cards (which were recently replaced, but still having issues). First, I am not able to update the most recent drivers, no idea why, goes through the install but reverts back to the older version.

Sometimes computer can't come on after sleep (get a long beep, which Dell said is a video card issue), somtimes computer freezes (just reinstalled windows 7 64bit ie software isnt the issue)

Anyone else experience these types of problems, would I be better off going with a single Nvidia card, if so any suggestions? I use my computer for video production and photography stuff...dont game at all...

I am a complete amateur when it comes to video cards, their abilities, pro's con's...just want something that will work.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help

chesbrougha

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
I don't know anyone that has a desktop to try these cards on and yes I did talk to dell...they have no idea what they are talking about, their support is completely worthless... I have the correct driver as ATI were the ones that pointed me to the download link. I guess my question should be changed to advice on single cards that have comparable performance to these dual cards