Lyzbeat

Reputable
Jun 19, 2017
Hi everyone. Thank you for reading this.

So today I wanted to try dual monitor setup with Zotac GTX 1050TI as my GPU. The GPU has 3 port, HDMI, DVI-D, and DisplayPort. My main monitor used DVI-D port and it works fine. The problem is, my second monitor is an old model that it ONLY have VGA port, so I've tried to connect the second monitor using VGA cable with HDMI adapter and it didn't work. It says
'no cable connected'. I've also tried to connect the VGA cable to the main monitor and the result is still the same.

So, the conclusion is
Main monitor -> DVI-D -> works
Second monitor -> VGA + HDMI adapter -> didn't work
Main monitor -> VGA + HDMI adapter -> didn't work

I also have enabled 'share integrated graphics memory' in bios settings and set it to 1024mb because I have 8gb of RAM.

Is there anything wrong with my settings or setup? And how do I fix it?
Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Lyzbeat

Reputable
Jun 19, 2017
What adapter did you buy? No simple adapter will work since HDMI is fully digital and VGA is analog meaning you need an active adapter that converts the signal in order for it to work.

Here is one Ive heard works https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters®-Active-Female-Adapter/dp/B008O7RH5C

It requires you plug in USB power in order for it to function
I don't know what brand my converter is. But it's shape are just like in the picture in the link you provided, only in white. The things is, how do you know if the adapter is active or not?

Thank you

I don't know what brand my converter is. But it's shape are just like in the picture in the link you provided, only in white. The things is, how do you know if the adapter is active or not?

Thank you

One easy way is that it requires additional power either a USB cable or some sort of DC plug. Basically an active converter has electronics inside that convert the signal from digital to analog. However even then Ive seen some scams where the converter is just an empty housing and the power does nothing.

Lyzbeat

Reputable
Jun 19, 2017
Thanks, your answer helped me. I bought the active adapter just like you recommended. At first, it doesn't work, but after I connect the adapter's USB cable to my phone charger, it works like a charm.