problems with flight yoke in dmame

Hey all,

I recently picked up a CH flight yoke cheap (to tide me over until I
can get a SW yoke). According to CH's website, it should work in any
DOS program in which a standard pot-based analog joystick works without
having to use special drivers.

Sooo, I hook the yoke to the gameport and start a game with the
"-joystick standard" command and then calibrate using the tab menu, and
it does not work. The cursor is stuck in the bottom center of the
screen. In addition, when I pull the yoke out, Y-axis motion is not at
all smooth. Nothing happens for a while and then the cursor jumps to
the top of the screen in like 1/4 inch of yoke travel, making control
impossible. X-axis response is smooth and accurate. Basically,
pushing the yoke in does nothing; it's like half of the Y-axis is not
being recognized. The yoke works fine in Win XP when I install the CH
driver, and the gameport on the DOS PC is fine because a standard
joystick works just fine. I've also tried just about all of the
"-joystick" options to no avail. Oh, I also messed extensively with
all of the analog controls options in the tab menu and made sure that
the trim pots on the flight yoke were not out of center. Do these
things not have two pots like a joystick or a SW yoke (I haven't opened
it up yet to look)? I searched here and at BYOAC and could not find
anyone who had had this particular problem. Thanks in advance for any
ideas.

Matt

P.S. BTW, I am limited to dmame for the time being. I know, of
course, that that would be the easist solution.

Matt Fisher played the following on an explodable self-inflating leather
and concrete saxophone

[CH Flight yoke won't calibrate]

Matt, try to find a copy of Thrustmaster's old Pro Panel software.
Absolutely the best thing ever for calibrating a controller under DOS. As
a side note for Windows people I'd recommend Bob Church's CTFJ (Center The
uh... Freakin' Joystick) Solves all kinds of joystick related problems.

--
Neil

Neil,

Problem solved. As it turned out, all I had to do was use the
calibration program included on the floppy that came with the yoke
(which was (amazingly) still with the yoke considering I got the yoke
at a Goodwill). I imagine that this program is similar to the one you
recommended, which I was able to find easily in a Windows version (I
didn't look that hard for the DOS version, though). I imagine your
solution would have worked just as well, but I figured I would try the
included software first. Thanks for the suggestion, which, at the very
least, caused me to look at the included software first.

Matt