Question Problems with frame drops and new build advice

Feb 24, 2019
Hi!

I mainly only play CSGO and can easily get 250+ FPS no matter what. Recently my FPS has been dropping to around 100fps for under a second then shooting back up to 250+ FPS. This only happens a few times per game (about 45 minutes) I haven’t replaced thermal paste in over 4 years since that’s how long I’ve had this build. My system specs are below. I had no issues with frame drops/throttling it only started happening in the past few days.

Also I was wondering since my cpu is getting old, a decent upgrade for my cpu, ram and mobo. Don’t really have a budget but I think a i5-8400 will do as I only play csgo. So if possible, I’d like recommendations as to what would go well with a 8400 and I’d like 16gb of ram. There isn’t really a budget but keep it as low as possible while still getting good performance and quality.

Also, if someone could tell me why my frames have been dropping (I’m thinking it has to do with cooling/throttling). Since an upgrade isn’t really necessary as the i5 4690k is strong enough for what I play.

Thanks

Current system:
i5 4690k
Hyper 212 evo
Gtx 1070
16gb G Skill
Ga-z97mx-gaming 5

Abstuurz

Proper
Feb 19, 2019
Just let a monitoring software like hwmonitor run behind, so you could check the temperatures.
Recently updated the gpu drivers? or changed something in the settings?

Abstuurz

Proper
Feb 19, 2019
Did you recently updated your OS?

Just let a monitoring software like hwmonitor run behind, so you could check the temperatures.

As i said, just keep an eye with that tool on the temperature.
let it run minimized and play csgo, when you get the the spikes again, check temp.

You can also reinstall your driver.

Here's the best way to deinstall and reinstall clean.

How to perform a CLEAN install of your video card drivers.