[SOLVED] Problems with games crashing pc on new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

strokem

Commendable
Jul 30, 2018
I just built a new rig about 5 months ago, mainly for gaming.

Asrock Fatal1ty AB350 K4 AM4
Ryzen 5 1600
Gigabyte Radeon RX560
Corsair CX550 PSU
Corsair 8GB DDR4 2666
128GB SSD
1TB HDD 7200RPM
Windows 7 Professional

After I first built it, it would crash often while playing games, causing the computer to reboot and it would make a horrible sound. I figured it was the graphics card, so I RMA'd it. They sent it back, saying there was nothing wrong with it. By then, a new graphics driver was released. I installed it and my problem seemed to be fixed for a week or two. But, it started doing the same thing again, just not as often. I've tried putting the graphics card in the other PCI-E slot, no change. I've run tests on RAM and found no problems. I've tested voltage outputs on PSU, everything seems fine. I've tried several different graphics drivers, but they all made the problem worse. I'm thinking it has to be the motherboard, but I wanted to see what everyone had to say before I RMA it and have to wait a couple weeks to use the computer again.

Side note: After the new driver, it seems to be just the usual game crashes, but the computer reboots 99% of the time when a game crashes. And because the computer crashes each time a game crashes, I don't see any error messages. The only game that hasn't crashed the computer is Fallout 4. The only game that has crashed and didn't crash the computer was Star Wars KOTOR1. Not sure if that will help with finding a solution.

try windows 10

try using the RAM @2133MHz and @2400MHz
where is the one 8GB RAM stick installed? Should be in DIMM slot #2 (from CPU socket the second slot)
Which exact model number does this stick have?

did you install windows freshly with this system or was it installed with other hardware?

Check your SSD and HDD as well. Use the manufacturer´s test tool for that and eventually update the firmware too.

Is it a M.2 or normal Sata SSD? Which brand and model?

update the BIOS to version 3.4 and after this to the latest 5.00 of your motherboard within BIOS itself, using instantflash
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20AB350%20Gaming%20K4/#BIOS

Which SATA ports are you using? ASMEDIA (SATA3_A1~A2) or AMD native SATA ports (SATA3_1~4)?

ATX12V power connector is plugged in with 8 pins (2x4) and not just one 4pin plug?

Check your temperatures, use e.g. msi afterburner and CPU-Z for that and log your temps. After crashing you can read, if something is too hot.

strokem

Commendable
Jul 30, 2018

Thanks for your response.
I would like to avoid spending money on Windows 10 for as long as possible, if I can.
The RAM is in the first slot, didn't think that mattered.
It's Corsair Vengeance Model CMK8GX4M1A2666C16R.
It was a fresh Win install. The SSD is SATA. The BIOS says I have the latest version.
The SSD is ADATA Premier Model ASP600S3-128GM-C.
The HDD is WD Blue Model WD10EZEX.
The power should be plugged in correctly and I've checked the temps, and they all look good.

I'll look into the other things you mentioned and switch the RAM and update here soon.
The hard drives are both on AMD native SATA. Should they be on the other ones?

Which BIOS version is it? Update applications are not always that accurate, if a new BIOS is available or not. If one is available. don´t flash in Windows!

Eventually try the RAM @2133MHz, if the placement in slot 2 is not helping. The RAM is in the QVL list of ASRock, should be compatible then.

AMD SATA is the best choice already.

ADATA test tool:
http://www.adata.com/en/ss/software-6/

The firmware update probably will delete all data on the SSD, so a backup image or a backup of important peronal data would be necessary to get the data back after the update. Or you reinstall windows again after the update. Again, all data will be lost with a firmware update for this SSD.
http://www.adata.com/en/support/driver/

WD lifeguard:
http://downloads.wdc.com/windlg/WinDlg_v1_31.zip

strokem

Commendable
Jul 30, 2018

I switched the RAM to slot 2 and ran it at 2133, and no change.
When I try to flash it through the BIOS, it says I have the latest version, but
I'll check the BIOS version and run the drive checks and update here later.

strokem

Commendable
Jul 30, 2018
I updated BIOS to 5 and now my mouse and keyboard won't work in Windows but still work in BIOS. Some people say to enable legacy USB but I can't find it in the BIOS.

That´s because of Windows 7. Have a look at this:

legacy support is not provided on AM4 boards

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5554&title=ab350-gaming-k4-bios-usb

You will have to get the USB driver implemented in Windows 7.
Use the USB patcher from ASRock.

This support site does tell you how to as well:
https://www.asrock.com/microsite/Win7Install/index.html

(The PS/2 simulation option is not provided for AM4 boards like yours)

The most promising install path would be "Windows 7 USB Driver Install 2.2: Set Drivers To Install at Boot"
https://www.anandtech.com/show/11182/how-to-get-ryzen-working-on-windows-7-x64

Because you already have installed Windows 7 on this system I guess?

strokem

Commendable
Jul 30, 2018
This doesn't make any sense. I've been using the same mouse and keyboard in windows for 5 months now, shouldn't the drivers be installed already? I'll give it a shot though and report back.

strokem

Commendable
Jul 30, 2018
The install method you linked was ridiculous, so I switched BIOS back to 4.6, installed the drivers then went back to 5.0 but the mouse and keyboard still didn't work, so I'm back on 4.6. And, since I switched the RAM, it won't run at the correct speed and all my games lag. Even after I switched the RAM back. I switched the speed in the BIOS to 2666, but all my games still lag.
And I just looked it up in CPUZ and it says it's running at 1064. And it says my processor is running at 1500 when it should be 3200.

don´t know either why the keyboard and mouse doesn´t work then. In which ports are these plugged in? USB2 or USB3? PS/2?

use prime95 (option smallfft) + amd overdrive at the same time to have a look at your temperature margin. Let it run for about 10minutes, till the temp. is stable. Have a look while running this at CPU-Z (use the latest version)

Did you try other BIOS versions after 4.6? Did you reset the BIOS settings by jumper after the update?

strokem

Commendable
Jul 30, 2018
So I just did a restore point to right before I did anything you said and my games are running smooth again. Don't know if the crashes are fixed, but I'd rather be able to play games than not.

strokem

Commendable
Jul 30, 2018
This is a bit late, but the restore did not fix the crashes. I sent the motherboard back to the manufacturer and they repaired it. Now it works as it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.